Browse Items (1402 total)

This is a photo of St. Mary Catholic Church on Lincoln Avenue with the parish house (rectory) on the right. This brick church was built in 1856 for $4,000. It was remodeled and improved in 1881, when the seating was increased from 200 to 400. It was…

840 N. Seminary Ave

The Woodstock Children's Home was started in Chicago in1886 by the Rev. Thomas Brayton Arnold and his wife Teressa Richardson Arnold . It was incorporated in 1888 as the Chicago Industrial Home for Children.

In 1897, the…

124 N. Madison
Christiansen Shoe Repair Shop on North Madison Street, north of the railroad tracks crossing Madison Street

116 N. Madison.

This photo of the Square Park decorated for Christmas with the nativity figures and Santa's Hut was taken by the Woodstock Die Casting editor for the employee newsletter The Spotlite. The Soldiers Monument looms on the left and the Courthouse is in…

First in a series covering the demolition of the first church built in Woodstock that was being used for storage by Dacy Lumber company. A National Tea Company grocery store was built on the site with 220 N. Jefferson as the address.

The church…

Second in the series documenting the demolition of the first church in Woodstock on Church & Jefferson Streets. This shows the church front and south façade. A large covered shed used by Dacy Lumber Company for storing lumber is the first building to…

Third in the series of the demoltion of the first church and Dacy Lumber Company buildings to make room for the National Tea grocery store on the corner of Church & Jefferson.

The large shed and the old house are gone revealing a small shed with…

The next photo in the series covering the demolition of the first church and Dacy Lumber Company is not clear enough to enlarge to the 5x7 format. The roof has been removed and the steeple is toppling.

This view is from N. Jefferson

This blurry photo ( number 5 in the series) is taken from the demolition site. The steeple is toppling. The businesses on Church St. are now visible.

109 Church: Sherburne Bowling
201 Church: National Auto Parts

Final photo in the series taken from the Madison street side of the demolition looking toward Church St.

The very last wall of the church is coming down. The house that is visible across the street to the left of the tree is still there, but…

The site of the first religious edifice in Woodstock, the Presbyterian Church, organized Feb. 23, 1846.
Presented by Kishwaukee Trail Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1962.

This plaque was on the Jefferson St side of the grocery…

Front of post card: City Hall and Opera House, Woodstock, Ill. 700
Reverse has message dated 9-7-27
The lights in front of the building were installed in 1912 and the horse in the photo indicates an earlier time than 1927. Also, there is no fire…

The postcard shows a fuzzy print of the illustration used for the 1895 advertising pamphlet "Woodstock Illustrated."
The attached photo is from the jpg file from the booklet rather than a scan of the postcard.

This shows the original Opera House…

Central School/Woodstock City Hall building 120 W. Calhoun St. with the city hall sign and a smaller Police Department sign.
The second photo on this same record shows the entire north side of the building and the front sidewalk to Calhoun St.

Employees of Woodstock Die Casting-Division of Eltra Corporation enjoy a picnic in the Main Pavilion at Woodstock City Park, now Emricson Park.

A newly erected pavilion with dirt in front and the heavy equiptment (shovel or roller) in the back.
Not sure which pavilion this is--could be Main or Hilltop. Planing for the city park began in 1949 and it was constructed in the early 1950s.
City…

Clay Street school was built in 1905, having four rooms at that time. In 1921, it was enlarged and improved to eight rooms.

Additions in 1946, 1968, 1969, and 1997 plus other alterations have hidden the building in this photo. According to an…

Woodstock Community High School was built in 1922 at 501 W. South St.

Looking at the landscaping, this photo was taken soon after.

A. S. Wright Druggist is printed on the front. He was in business from 1880-1840.

Auburn Post Card Mfg. Co.…

208-210 Main Street
The Crystal Palace opened soon after the 1892 fire on Main Street. Due to ill health, H. J. Herdklotz sold the business (not the building) to Connors & Stone in 1901. In the 1914 City Directory, it is listed as the J. F. Connors…

Sheriff's House (1887) and Courthouse in winter before the addition on the north end (1903) and south end (1904) were built. In 1898 the building trim was repainted according to Nancy Baker.

Buildings on Throop Street behind the Sheriff's House…

Like the others in this series (ID 387-390) this photo of the red maples is timeless and could have been taken today.

Courthouse
Sheriff's House
Square Park

The style of awning is the same as in the movie photos of the courthouse.

This photo of the Old Courthouse and Jail was printed in the Copy Express calendar in 1998. Jim Keefe saved the page and wrote on the back "On the way to church, I took this picture one morning."

West side of Square showing the Courthouse (with the addition) and Sheriff's House. The courthouse is obscured by large trees and the "crown" on the cupola is missing.
The sheriff's house was built in 1887
Melvin Tripp started his photography…

West side of Square with Courthouse partially obscured by trees and clear view of Sheriff's house. The courthouse has the addition and has an American flag flying from the dome. This photo was taken by Tripp from approximately the same view as the…

Courthouse and Sheriff's House taken January 19, 1931 after a wet snow left the trees loaded. Autos are parked along both sides of Cass Street. The lamp post on the corner of Main and Cass is draped with a garland--it is a good close up of the design…

This Medlar photo of the Courthouse and Sheriff's House is dated by the parking meters (after 1947) and the style of street lights (before 1954).
Early morning sunlight casts shadows of nearly leafless branches on the buildings.
The front entrance…

Colorized photo of the Courthouse after the additions of 1903-04 with the Sheriff's House. It was taken from the Square park in winter. There are no other identifying clues except that it was printed after 1907 because a message can be written on the…

Beatrice Pond took this photo for her art photography class, donating it to the library after an exhibit.
The dome is obscured by smoke from one of the chimneys. A television antenna and two small enclosures show the working side of the building.…

This photo was taken early in the morning of Memorial Day 1993. The square park looks as if it were the front lawn of the Old Courthouse. The awnings have green stripes and there is a canvas canopy over the restaurant entrance.

This view from Medlar Studio's window (100 Cass) shows T. J. Dacy & Co. Carriage and Implement Dealer on East Judd Street. Behind the building it is possible to see the old church (ID 50) with its steeple missing that had been sold to Dacy Brothers…

The Dacy Lumber Company purchased the Presbyterian Church on Church & Jefferson and removed the front entrance and steeple. It was used for storage.

This photo is labeled "Sight [sic] of Dacy Lumber-corner Church and Jefferson about 1920s" while…

This series of five photos show the day the Die Cast smokestack was demolished. A large percentage of Woodstock folks watched the event.

Jim started with a picture of the Woodstock Square taken near the E. Jackson St entrance that shows the…

Tags: ,

Taken from the intersection of Dean & South, this photo shows many buildings that were demolished to create the parking lot next to City Hall.
Left side:
214 Dean Medlar Studios (demolished)
210 Dean Large house with apartments
206 Dean Butler…

Left side of photo shows part of the apartment building, then Les Kidoo's barber shop, the nearly obscured Greek Revival house, and the Congregational Church. Across South Street is Dr Tambone's office.

On the right, the storefront of Butler…

This photo was taken from the fire escape on the Woodstock City Hall & Opera House. The roofs of the buildings on the left side of the street can be seen as well as the roof of the Butler Auto Parts store.

201 Dean
203 Dean Little Brown Book…

This photo is taken from street level showing the same street and buildings as photo ID 246.

From this vantage point, the Elmer & Cora Carlson house across South St. is visible.

201 Dean
203 Dean Little Brown Book Store
205 Dean (Dr.)…

From the edge on the grass on Dean & South the intersection looks huge. Cars turn or wait at the traffic light. The Congregational Church, Kiddoo's barber shop building and the east edges of distant buildings are visible.

The V-J Day Parade has reached Dean Street School in this undated photo taken by the editor of the Woodstock Die Casting newsletter editor. This was taken before the addition was build on the school in 1968.

600 Dean Street

This school was built in 1921 and opened in February, 1922. The Sentinel article called it a "beautiful architectural achievement." It was the third elementary school at the time after Clay Street and Central School. Woodstock…

These two photos show men preparing heavy equipment to demolish the buildings on the Woodstock Die Casting site in May 1997.

This polaroid photo was found with the other Die Cast picnic pictures but has no date and there were picnics during other summers. It was taken in city park with the regular playground equipment visible in the background.

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments.
This shows the Ferris Wheel, Tilt-A-Whirl and swings.

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments. This series of photos was taken to be used in the employee newsletter "The…

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments.
The Ferris Wheel is photographed looking west with the old Bigelow farm house…

Woodstock Die Casting employee picnic with carnival rides, games and food. This gunny sack race is taking place on the baseball field. The cars are parked at the top of the hill. The toboggan slide, demolished when liability became of concern, is…

Woodstock Die Casting employees' children line up for rides on the Ferris Wheel and Tilt-A-Whirl that were set up for the company's picnic in the City Park (now Emricson Park).
These photos were taken for the employee's newsletter "The Spotlite."

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments. Kids enjoy a ride on a wagon pulled by ponies that took them all around the park.

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments. These photos were taken for the employee newsletter.
Small children ride in…

A mom sits in a swing in the city park (now Emricson Park) holding an infant on her lap during the Die Cast picnic. It is take from the opposite direction as the Die Cast Picnic Airplane Ride photo which can be seen in the background.

Woodstock Die Casting was the largest employer in town. Their employee picnic was held in the city park (now Emricson Park) with carnival rides, games and refreshments. Pony rides were set up in the trees by Main Pavilion. Note the striped pants on…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2