Calhoun Street Back of City Hall 1937

Title

Calhoun Street Back of City Hall 1937

Description

Two-story brick building behind the Opera House (City Hall) with no signage, no windows, and with double doors that might have been used for a stable or storage. Portions of other frame buildings between Calhoun and the Square can be seen. They were demolished to provide room for the A & P Grocery Store (128 Cass), probably in 1937.

A small portion of the adjacent building is visible that is a more typical business building.

Notes from Gene Limbaugh 2018: The building on the left was behind the Woodstock Tent & Awning Co. which faced Van Buren St. on the Square. That the building was used by them or by others is unknown. Eventualy in the 1940s everything was torn down from the C. W. Hill bldg. to Johnson St. and from Van Buren to Calhoun streets to make way for the A & P food store.
1915: G. W. Frame & E. L. Hanaford organized while still in the old Mill Bldg (pickle factory) at E. Jackson & Calhoun.
1917: They purchased the interest of the Riecke Bros. in the Home Oil Co.
1919: Moved the Oil co. business to the C.W. Hill bldg (shown to the right in picture) on Calhoun St. next to the rear of the city hall.
1921: Moved the oil business again to the new location at Throop & Judd St.
1928: Frame bought out Hanaford's interest in Home Oil Co.
Many auto related businesses rented this building after and maybe befor as a start up location.
In the 1950s & 1960s it was the Chamber of Commerce office."

Date

1937

Citation

“Calhoun Street Back of City Hall 1937,” Woodstock Public Library Archives, accessed August 17, 2026, https://woodstockpubliclibraryarchives.omeka.net/items/show/98.

Comments

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page