Woodstock Sentinel 80th Anniversary Edition Newspaper, March 13, 1937, Section 7

Title

Woodstock Sentinel 80th Anniversary Edition Newspaper, March 13, 1937, Section 7

Date

1937-03-13

Language

en-US

Type

Text

Text

Eightieth Anniversary Edition Woodstock Daily Sentinel
McHENRY COUNTY'S LEADING NEWSPAPER—PUBLISHED DAILY, EXCEPT SUNDAY—ESTABLISHED EIGHTY YEARS AGO.
Woodstock, McHenry County, Illinois, Saturday, March 13, 1937
Entered as Second-Class Matter August 21, 1921, at the post office at Woodstock, Illinois, under the Act of Mar. 8,1879.

McHENRY COUNTY'S LEADING NEWSPAPERS-PUBLISHED DAILY, EXCEPT SUNDAY—ESTABLISHED EIGHTY YEARS AGO. Established 1856—Eighty-first Year. WOODSTOCK, McHENRY COUNTY, ILLINOIS Eightieth Anniversary Edition. SECTION SEVEN PAGE ONE
WOODSTOCK ALWAYS SPORTS MINDED
Championship Teams in Football and Basketball; Winning Baseball Teams In Past Years
REVIEW OF ACTIVITIES OVER 40 YEARS REVEALS MANY OUTSTANDING STAR
To write a complete history of athletics in the Woodstock community over a period of the last forty years or more would take up a lot of space in this anniversary edition. However, this writer is going to only touch lightly on the high spots in baseball, football and basketball as played in and around the county seat back over a period of years. We are not going to try and give the exact date of the inauguration of football, basketball or baseball in these parts. That would start an argument, because athletics were on the schedule many years ago, in fact so long ago that there is no official record as to the exact beginning. One thing is certain and that is that Woodstock has played its part well in all lines of sport. Athletic teams from Woodstock have won numerous honors on the field of battle, both in amateur and professional ranks for many years back.
Famous Oliver Team |
Although there were baseball teams before the nineteenth century started, Woodstock people as a whole refer to that famous old Oliver Typewriter club of 1902 to 1905 as the best baseball team ever to wear the colors of the city. Prior to this we could take you back to a team composed of such players as Vincent S. Lumley, W. H. Hobbs, O. G. Mead, Horatio W. Wright, George Murphy, Robert Leidig, Albert Dacy, Bert Sales and Tom Higgins. That roster of players played baseball in the days long before the Olivers. However, the Oliver club of 1902 with Gurtis, Corson, Hill, Moriarty, Richards, Wynkoop, Cook, Beebe, Stratton and Ryan, was a team which really made a record for itself. Take a look at the record of a season with wins over such teams as Spaldings, Elgin, Kenosha, Racine, Union Giants and Joliet. Is it any wonder there was a smile on the face of John Whitworth, general manager of the club, when a picture of the club was taken, at the end of the season. So we say the Olivers really made history in baseball for Woodstock. The players all worked in the factory, but every afternoon they were off to the fairgrounds for a practice and Saturday and Sunday found them playing the best in these parts.
Then Came The Reds
When the Oliver club finally broke up there was a demand for a home town club to take over the limelight. It was then that the late Jay Conway broke into the picture as a baseball manager of considerable ability.
(Continued on page two)
OTTO SEILER [photo] Otto Seiler played stellar football for the University of Illinois during the years of 1909, 1910 and 1911. He played the quarterback postion and won nation-wide publicity, with his kicking. In 1910 Illinois defeated Indiana, Syracuse and Chicago by a 3 to 0 score and it was a drop kick in each game by Seiler that won the game. Seiler played football in the loca1 school. In track Seiler was considered one of the fastest men in the state and could step the century dash in 10 seconds.
RED O'BRIEN [photo] "Red" O'Brien brought to Woodstock probably the first and only world's title in any line of athletics, when he rated as one of the best lightweight title several years before the start of the world war. O'Brien today is rated as one of the best lightweight matmen ever to take part in a contest not only in the United States, but the world at large. In his prime O'Brien was one of the most clever athletes to enter the ring. He was known throughout the land for his endurance and his ability to pin his opponent's shoulders to the mat. He wrestled many of the best men in his weight and on numerous occasions he used to "give weight" to his opponents and still pin their shoulders to the mat. Woodstock is proud of O'Brien's record as a wrestler. He won lightweight crown by hard work and defended it often with success. Although not real active any more in wrestling, he still can give a good account of himself on the mat when called on for an exhibition. Woodstock people salute their only world champion athlete.
TWO FAMOUS OLD TIME BALL TEAMS Made History For Woodstock In Their Day
OLIVER BASEBALL CLUB, 1902 [PHOTO]
Pictured above is the Oliver typewriter baseball club of 1902, which won many honors in the middle-west as one of the best semi-professional baseball clubs ever organized. Reading from left to right in top row: Curtis, Ackers (secrotary), Corson, Whitworth, mgr., and Hill. Middle row: Moriarty, Richards, Wynkoop and Cook. Bottom row: Beebe, Stratton and Ryan. Lester (Stubby) Griffing is the mascot.
WOODSTOCK REDS, BASEBALL TEAM, 1907 [photo]
Pictured above is the Woodstock Reds baseball team organized after the famous Oliver semi-professional team disbanded. This team was one of the best home talent teams in the middle-west. In the top row from left to right: Jack Ryan, Louis Bending, D. Easton, Dr. A. M. Yessler, John E. Conway and Joe Kappler. Middle row: Ernest Joorfetz, Tom Collier (umpire), Elmer Sahs, Jay B. Conway, mgr., and John Riley. In the bottom row: William Howard, Joe Bergthal (mascot), and William Riley.
PENNY MITES IS LOCAL CHARITY ORGANIZATION ITS WORK WELL DONE
This organization, which was christened the Woodstock Ladies' Social Benevolent Penny society, organized an old-fashioned neighborhood—a friendly neighborhood- had as its chief idea to do work for and to do good to those in the greatest need. The poor "who are always with us," and how the society has functioned throughout the 40 years of its existence is best told in the hearts of its members and in the minds of those who are aware of its many benefactions. The first meeting was held with Mrs. John Tong, on Throop street Jan. 11, 1896, where 12 women assembled as charter members, namely: Mmes. John Tong; Veloma E. Jones, Morris S. Caskey, B. Sherman, Chas O. Judd, Eliza Richardson, Fred W. Mumford, Henry D. McLaughlin, John J. Donovan and Jesse M. Austin, and Misses Helen Church and M. A. Richards—and what precious memories surround the reading of their names! At that time by-laws were prepared, adopted and later neatly printed for the use of the members. Friday afternoon was chosen as the meeting day of the organization and this day was sacredly set aside from week to week throughout these useful, helpful years. It was decreed that the charter members and the presiding officers should compose the executive committee, and as the years advanced and charter members, one by one, passed away, a new member was chosen to take her place.
This society started with its 12 members and reached an enrollment of about 200 paying members, each paying yearly dues of 50 cents. The only charter members now remaining are Mrs. Clara Sherman, of Woodstock, and Mrs. Mary Caskey, of Beloit, Wis., and it is with pride that these two have watched the wonderful growth and expansion of the society they helped to organize. The work of the society has been varied throughout the years, and there (Continued On Page Seven)
CLYDE ZOIA [photo]
Clyde Zoia probably rates as one of the greatest football players for his size ever to play college or professional football. In 1916 he made the Notre Dame university squad, but did not play regular that year. In 1917 he played in every game as regular left guard and distinguished himself time and again with his fine play. Knute Rockne was coach at the time and rated Zoia as one of the finest guards ever to be turned out at Notre Dame.
In 1920 he joined the Racine Cardinals, which later was changed to the Chicago Cardinals. He played professional ball for five years with the Cardinals and proved his worth to this organization. Although rather small for a lineman he was one of the outstanding guards in the pro league. Zoia is a product of the local school, where he played football and basketball.
GEORGE MORIARTY [photo]
George Moriarty's name has long been recorded in baseball's hall of fame. He got his real start with the Woodstock Olivers. It was in a game against the Chicago League a few seasons later and as a member of the New York Yankees and Detroit Tigers he won for himself a place with the best of third basemen in the history of the game. When "Morry" finished his playing days he was named as one of the American League's umpires. In this capacity he distinguished himself with credit. When the famous Ty Cobb resigned as manager of the Detroit Tigers, Moriarty took over the job as manager of the Detroit club. He worked hard to give Detroit a winning club, but lack of material hindered his ambition and after a short "fling" at the managership he returned to his post as umpire in the same league, which job he now holds. He is considered by baseball experts as one of the best baseball officials in the game. Moriarty has done much to aid in the progress of baseball. He spends his winters touring the country talking baseball in high schools and before civic organizations. He is an able orator and together with movie pictures of the game his winter tours have done much to keep major league baseball in the front rank as the nation's national pastime. Woodstock recognizes Moriarty as one of its favorite sons, who made good in big league baseball.

PAGE TWO WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL. WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS Eightieth Anniversary Edition

SPORTS ACTIVITIES OVER 40 YEARS; MANY STARS
(Continued from page one) A team was organized and called the Woodstock Reds. To start with it was composed of such players as Jack Ryan, Louis Bending, D. Easton. Dr. A. M. Yessler, John Conway, Joe Kappler, Ernest Joorfetz, Elmer Sahs, Jack and Bill Riley and Bill Howard. Season, after season, this aggregation met and defeated the best semi-pro teams in these parts. The team wasn't as strong as the'Olivers, but it upheld the reputation of the county seat in baseball.
There were many other teams representing the city in the early years of this century. We can't overlook the famous "Brewery Street" aggregation, sometimes called the White Sox. This was a team made up of boys who learned baseball on the back lots of the territory around Washington street, better known as Brewery srreet in those days.
Shepard of the Hills
We can take you on down through the years and mention the Athletics, the Eagles, and various other teams representing the city. We can take you on after the war to the teams sponsored by the local Legion when William Penn, the "Shepard of the Hills," came to town to pitch the Legionnaire aggregation to many a victory. We recall a day over at the State Line park when Manager Harold Reese plucked Freddie Pope, a youngster who never pitched a game, from the bench, when his regular pitcher failed to show up, and how Freddie set the famous State Line aggregation back inning after inning in what will always remain in our memory as one of the greatest victories a local baseball team ever won. With the development of the auto-mobile and the growing interest in major league baseball, the semi-pro teams of the smaller cities started to fade out a few years after the war. The game seemed to lose its pep with fans flocking to Chicago to see the Cubs and White Sox play, the attendance dropped off and in general the game as played by such teams as the Olivers, Reds and Legion died.
Kill the Umpire
However, with the loss of semi-pro baseball in these parts fans can neyer quite forget the early days when Harvard and Woodstock used to clash or when Woodstock and McHenry used to cross bats. A Harvard and Woodstock game in those days wasn't a success unless there was a battle! Many an umpire got "beaned" and many a fan came home with a black eye. That was baseball in those days. It was in those days that the famous saying of "kill the umpire" was born. In this connection it would not be right not to mention the names of Tom Colier, Bill Colberg and Bill Howard. These three men umpired many ball games around these parts. They took plenty of abuse, but that was the game in those days and the players and fans liked it. Game Has Slipped
The semi-pro game has almost passed out around here. Now and then they have tried to revive it, but with no success. Gone are the crowds of 1,000 at a game at the fair grounds. Gone are the thrilling games at the county fair. In general the game is fast dropping out of the picture around here. Some say softball has taken its place. That is not true, because softball can never win a place in the hearts of the fans who used to follow the Olivers and Reds and other teams. It may serve as an amusement to pass away a little time, but that is all.
FOOTBALL
Now for a little history on football. The date of the first football team in Woodstock goes back to the days before the Spanish-American war. In those days high school football was only a minor sport, although football as played professionally was quite an attraction.
Oldtimers will tell you that the Woodstock Athletics was probaly the greatest "town team" ever to don uniforms. That famous aggregation played over a period of three years against the best pro teams in the middle-west without a defeat being chalked up against them or their goal line being crossed.
Oldtimers recall the thrilling game against Marshal Field at the fair grounds back in the fall of 1899, when the Athletics won a 11 to 0 decision before a crowd of more than a thousand fans. It was the climax to the greatest season the city has ever known in town football, although in later years there were teams which made fine records.
Do You Rememtar Them?
Do you remember some of the players who took part in that Thanksgiving day battle of 1899? Well, to refresh your memory we will mention a few of them. They were Everett Sherman, George L. Murphy, Ed Losee, Del Olmstead, Bill Colberg, Clyde Miner, Dr. Geo. Cutteridge, Bill Desmond, Volney E. Brown, John Hallisey and Eddie Field.
That was a football team, although Cotton's Colts of 1897 with Mullen, Colberg, Quinlan, Eiklor, Hoy, Hanaford, Guild, Brown and Murphy were good.
The years passed and the game progressed with passing time. Football became more popular in high school and it was only a short period of time when graduates of the Woodstock high school were making history in college football.
Seiler, Stuessy, Zoia
It is with pleasure we recall the days when Otto Seiler was kicking dropkicks for the University of Illinois or when Gene Bunker was doing his stuff for Wisconsin or Joseph Wandrack winning his letters at Northwestern. To write about Woodstock's football history it would be incomplete not to mention Clyde Zoia's career at Notre Dame with the famous Knute Rockne and George Gipp. He was probably one of the smallest and best linemen ever produced at the famous South Bend college. It would not be right not to mention Dwight (Slip) Stuessy's career at the University of Illinois, where he played regular quarterback on the famous Illini teams of those days. Stuessy, although small of build, was mentioned on numerous all Big Ten teams tor two years and rated as one of the best field generals ever to wear the Illini colors. John Pace, another local high graduate, won numerous honors at the DeKalb teachers college, where he was noted the best all around athlete in the Little Nineteen conference.
There were other boys wno made good in college football including Melvim Stuessy, Paul Smith, Ray Risvold, Art Evans, Laurie Herman and others.
Famous Legion Eleven
As football progressed, came the world war and the days which followed its close when the Woodstock Legion sponsored a town team which won high honors in the middle-west. It often has been compared with the famous Athletics, with such players as "Doc" Edinger, "Chuck" Haldeman, Joe Wandrack, Bill Schoor, Jack Dressell, Al Holtfretter, Cyrus Sanford, Charles Zoia, Harold Ueber, Tom Bolger and others too numerous to mention. That was a football team.
During those same years the Woodstock Maroons made history as one of the best little teams in these parts. (Continued on page three)
TODD SQUAD UNDEFEATED 1936 [photo]
The third of Woodstock's undefeated football teams this season is pictured above. The team is that of Todd School For Boys which is coached by Tony Roskie. The team the past season won five games and tied two. Teams defeated included Barrington, Wheaton, McHenry, Francis Parker and St. Albans. Teams tied were Latin of Chicago and Beaver Dam.
Pictured above in front row, left to right, include: James Larkin, Jack Morris, Robert Strause, William Wahl, Captain Sandy Smith, Phil Clark, Kenneth Muir, Robert, Robert Cavanaugh and Robert Woodley.
Second row top, includes Coach Tony Roskie, Ray Kostulski, George Pardee, Mike Buss, Willis Hanson, Charles Luckow, John Mathews, Myron Piker, William Meigs, Robert Wilson, Ray Moore, Crandal Barners, William Carpenter, Malcolm Anderson, Joe Spring, Assistant Coach Gerich and James Elsberg.
WILIIAM DESMOND [photo]
William Desmond of this city won probably ,the first college monogram ever to be awarded to a Woodstock athlete in football. The monogram was won at Notre Dame, where Desmond played as a member of the Fighting Irish in 1903, 1904 and 1905.
In those days Desmond was rated one of the best linemen in the Middlewest. Football in those days was played somewhat different than at the present time. There was plenty of hardships and knocks then and players had to be able to stand the pace to stay in competition.
A review of athletics in Woodstock without special mention of "Bill" Desmond's contribution to the game as a Woodstock athlete "would not be complete. His picture occupies a conspicuous place in the hall of fame at Notre Dame, where football is a serious business each year.
DWIGHT STUESSY [photo]
Dwight Stuessy is probably one of the most popular athletes to graduate from the Woodstock high school. He was a star in basketball and football during his high school days and following his graduation he continued his athletic career at the University of Illinois, where he played regular for three years under Coach Zuppke. He piloted the Illini eleven ,in 1926, 1927 and 1928 and was rated one of the best pilots in the Big Ten. Since his graduation he has been coach and athletic director at Durham high in Durham,N.C. His teams have captured state honors in basketball and football and his record as a coach is one of the best in the Southeastern states. That Dwight is headed for a college coaching job in the very near future is the prediction of his friends.
WOODSTOCK'S FIRST HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM, 1893 [photo]
Here is Woodstock's first high school football team. The team was first organized in the fall of 1893. The picture above was taken on the site now ccupied by the Alemite Die Casting factory. The background shows houses on Clay street, some have long since been torn down. Seven members of the above team are now deceased, Stanley Richards, George L. Murphy, Volney E. Brown, Clayton Charles, Edward Losee, Garry Austin and Dell Dirrenberger.
In the top row are pictured from left to right: Clyde C. Miner, Eugene Hoy, Stanley Richards, Dell Olmstead, Arthur J. Mullen, Park Bunker and George L. Murphy. From left to right in bottom row: Thomas, Volney E. Brown, Fred Bird, Dell Dirrenberger, Clayton Charles, Edward Losee and Garry Austin.
WOODSTOCK ATHLETICS, 1899 [photo]
The Woodstock Athletics pictured above was one of the best professional football teams in the middle-west in the early days of the game. This team won national recognition by defeating the best teams in these parts.
In the top row from left to right are: Everett Sherman, George L. Murphy, Roy B. Guild, Simpson and Dell Olmstead. In the middle row are: William Colberg, Clyde C. Miner, Dr. George Cutteridge, William Desmond and Volney E. Brown. In the bottom row are: John Hallisey, Edward Losee and Edward J.Field. The mascot is Eddie Hibben.
F. T. FERRIS, JEWELER
On December 10, 1910, the firm of Ferris & Bartelt opened a jewelry store in the Bunker block. On July 1, 1911, Mr. Bartelt retired from this firm and entered the piano business. Mr. Ferris continued the jewelry business. The business grew to such an extent that it was necessary to move into larger quarters, which was done December 1, 1929. This store has always had the name of carrying a high grade and complete line of JEWELRY SILVERWARE FOUNTAIN PENS SHEET MUSIC AND OTHER GIFT GOODS. You are always welcome at this store. All kinds of watch and jewelry repairing done promptly and fully guaranteed.

Eightieth Anniversary Edition WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL, WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS PAGE THREE
SPORTS ACTIVITIES OVER 40 YEARS MANY STARS
(Continued from page two) The famous Woodstock A. C. with Joe Pean, Julius Wien, Ray McGee, Jobe Twilligher, Murney Smith, Anderson Eskridge and others made history on the gridiron just prior to the war. So on down through the years, as year after year high school teams kept collecting honors. In recent years teams under Larry Dale have won many honors, being acclaimed county champs in various years.
One of the latest high school stars to graduate from the local school was Robert Peacock, who bids fair to win a permanent berth on Harry Stuldroher's Wisconsin eleven next fall. The past season has been one of the best in the history of the city with tha Blue and White, St. Mary's and Todd haVing finished the season with clean slates. All in all, football as played by athletes from the Woodstock community has won its place in the spotlight.
BASKETBALL
Basketball didn't take its place at the top ranks in Woodstock until well after the nineteenth century started. It was played in high school for many years before teams broke into the professional ranks.
High school teams for many years have ruled the court in McHenry county. The Blue and White high school teams have won seven county championships since 1920. Teams coached by Bill Weeks, Bert Boyd and Larry Dale have well represented the Blue and White in the past sixteen years. Basketball has been popular in the Woodstock high school for many years. Rivalry between Woodstock and the other teams in the county has been at a high pitch for years back. Woodstock is always the team to beat each year by the neighboring towns and as the years pass this seems to hold true more than ever.
St. Mary's Teams
Woodstock has three high schools sponsoring basketball and football. Up at St. Mary's Melvin Stuessy is coach and athletic director and although this is a small school, Coach Stuessy has turned out some very fine teams in both lines of sport. At Todd School for Boys Tony Roskie is general athletic director and coach. Competition with private schools is the main schedule at this school and in late years Coach Roskie has had some fine teams in basketball and football.
Woodstock high school teams have won a high place in athletics in the County and state over a long period of years and to mention the various teams and players would take up much space. It is well when you speak of high school football and basketball, not to forget the three Woodstock schools.
Town Teams
Over a period of twenty years or more Woodstock has sponsored. numerous fine professional teams. The Legion sponsored teams for several years. The Woodstock A. A. C. was another organization which put a fine team on the floor. Pro basketball used to go over in a big way here and during the days of the Purple Meteors, Harvard Marvels, Hebron Rascals, Jelke Good Lucks crowds numbered in the thousands at some of the games. Keen rivalry existed in those days and the teams were the best that could be assembled. In the last few years the pro game has dropped off and at present it is a hard proposition to get out much of a crowd at a game, although the Alemite team of this season is a fine aggregation.
It seems that the days of "Skin" Englund, Barney Walters, the Sherburne brothers, Grant, Weeks, Stuessy, Risvold, Jensen brothers, Corson, Eppel, Sweetland and others have gone forever.
It will always be refreshing for local fans to recall those days and when basketball is mentioned in the years to come certainly the teams of those years will be among those named.
Golf, Bowling, Horseshoes
Woodstock people have taken a keen interest in golf for a long period of years and are proud of the Woodstock Country Club, which is one of the finest natural courses in these parts. Golf has won its place in the hearts of many local people and each year the game seems to grow more popular. Woodstock has many fine golfers, who can compete with the best in tournament play.
Bowling has always been a popular sport in Woodstock and probably no city its size in the nation has as many fine bowlers as Woodstock. Bowling in Woodstock dates back to many years ago and probably W. H. ('Arry) Hobbs can be called the father of the sport. At present four alleys are being operated here with leagues in the both factories and a major and minor league in the city.
Horseshoe Popular
Horseshoe pitching, sometimes called barnyard golf, is another outdoor sport much enjoyed in Woodstock. For several years two courts were operated in the downtown district. Interest now seems to center at the Riley filling station, where any night during ihe summer you can find scores of men pitching shoes at the stakes. Listed among the best local players is Earl Mann, better known as "Double Ringer" Mann.
Softball Was Popular
Softball is another outdoor sport which has been enjoyed in Woodstock for a number of years. This was first inaugurated in the old baseball park, located near the Woodstock typewriter factory, the park being known as Argument Park. City and factory leagues have been operated each year with the removal of the park to the present playground site on Clay street. The game has dropped off in popularity due to too much commercialism. Leagues are no longer being sponsored in the city, although teams are still being sponsored by the factories and organizations. Softball as played in the early stages of the game at Argument Park proved very popular with old and young taking part in the sport. However, there has been too much stress placed on the winning end of the game in late years and the game as a whole has lost its hold here.
In closing this rather brief history of sports in Woodstock, we might say that hunting and fishing also is very popular with many local people. Although the vicinity of Woodstock doesn't offer so much in the fishing-line, local fishermen take to the lakes and streams in other parts of the country to enjoy the sport.
The immediate vicinity around Woodstock has always been a good place for hunting and in the various hunting seasons many people from Chicagoland invade these parts for hunting.
Many are the pages in the history of sports in Woodstock. No city of its size in the nation can look back over the years and boast of more fine athletes and teams in all kinds of sports than Woodstock.
WOODSTOCK HIGH SCHOOL BLUE AND WHITE, McHENRY CO. FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS, 1936 [photo] Above is pictured the 1936 squad of Blue and White football players who won the undisputed championship of McHenry county on the gridiron this fall. Coach Larry Dale started the season with a green squad but the squad improved with each game and the final game with Harvard in which the locals won, found the Dale coached crew playing a fine brand of ball. Front row, left to right—Gordon Berg, Bob Joorfetz, Clayton Peachey, Jay Peacock, Jack Gordon, Harold Kristensen, Don Bell. Second row—Bill Bell, Newton Fink, Slade Austin, Jim Phillips, Fred Fotzler, Gordon Boone, Chas. Redeker, Mgr.
Third row—Don Blodgett, Bob Walkington, Oran Percy, Harold Larson, Coach Larry Dale, Edward Monroe, Eugene Justen, Grover Wilkerson and Robert MacDonald.
ROCKFORD DIOCESAN CHAMPIONS, 1936 [photo] St. Mary's high school team of 1936 is pictured above. This team had a clean slate in 1936, winning eight games and losing none. The Saints closed the season in brilliant style defeating St. Thomas of Rockford for the Rockford Catholic Diocesan title. Reading from left to right, lower row: Billy Baier, Wilbur Trainor, George Burke, Raymond Murphy and Wm. Carroll. Second row: Clifford Mackey, Larry Huck, Edward McNett, Clarence Murphy, Francis Dittberner and Dave Riley.
Third row: Coach Melvin Stuessy, John Walgenbach, John Hayes, Jerry Buck, John Kramer, Wilbur Wickham, Bud Thiede, Tom Lawson. Top row: Al. Kuppe, William Heichel, Robert Kramer, Park Buckley, Raymond Cooney, Robert Conway, Robert Sahs and Robert Sweeney.
WOODSTOCK ATHLETIC COACHES
LARRY DALE [PHOTO] Larry Dale, coach at the Blue and White, has had a fine record since joining the local school. His teams have won numerous conference and county championships in football, basketball and track. The past season his boys won the county championship in football. In basketball this season his team won the Little Five conference title and county tournament honors. Coach Dale has had much success as mentor at the local school.
MELVIN STUESSY [photo] Melvin Stuessy, coach and director of athletics at St. Mary's school here, is considered one of the ablest of school coaches in these parts. He hasn't had a large amount of material to work with at the local Catholic school, but his teams have been on par with the best in and around McHenry county, having won many honors. The past season his football team won the Rockford diocesan title and finished the season undefeated. His basketball team this year has a fine record. Stuessy was quite a star himself in his high school and college days and played considerable pro basketball and football up until a year or so ago. He attended the local high school and later St. Edwards university at Texas.
TONY ROSKIE [photo] Tony Roskie guides the athletic program each year at Todd School in Woodstock. He coaches football, track, basketball and swimming. His teams, although small, have competed with some of the strongest private schools in these parts in the past few years and have a line record in all lines of sport. Roskie is a football and basketball official of high rank and works many games during the season. He is a graduate of Rockford high and was a fine athlete in high school and college.
Drs. Bran and Hedreed Hospital Dr. King, Dentist Phone 539 Woodstock, Illinois
Charles Herdrich & Son Distributors of Meister Brau, Schoen's Old Lager and Monarch Beer Call McHenry 16 McHenry, Ill.

PAGE FOUR WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL, WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS Eightieth Anniversary Edition
WOODSTOCK CHURCHES FILL IMPORTANT PLACE IN COMMUNITY AFFAIRS
A good index of the character of the people who compose a community is found in the support they give to institutions for instruction in the things of God. The better these institutions are supported, as a general thing, the higher the character of the people. This being true, surely the inference can be correctly drawn that the people of Woodstock are of high moral character, and this fact should appeal to all who are looking for an ideal place of residence and a worthy place for the rearing of their families. The religious advantages of a community are not less important than the educational, and Woodstock is admirably equipped in both respects. The purpose of this article is to give, as briefly and completely as may be, a history of the houses of worship of Woodstock and their various subordinate societies, with the names of their present officers.
BAPTIST
This society as organized on May 12, 1847, in the old court house in the park, with Elmer Adams presiding and the following named members constituting the charter membership: Asa C. Churchill, Mrs. Submit Enos, Louise Churchill, Louis Allen, Freeman Churchill, Eleanor Allen, Bela Churchill, Norman Butts, Louis Cranston, Sara Allen, Mrs. Nancy E. Swartout, Polly Butts and Jane Cranston Stowell. The meetings were first held in a hall over what is now the drug store of A. S. Wright. The following year the society erected a house of worship on Jefferson street, south of East Jackson street, but as they went heavily in debt, the building was later sold to the Methodists, who, when their original church was erected in 1871, sold to the Universalists, now unorganized. The church was for some time used as an armory and a skating rink, and went up in smoke in the fire of 1893. The present Baptist church was erected in 1866, being located at the corner of Jackson and Throop streets. It is a frame structure with a seating capacity of about 250, with prayer rooms in the rear, and cost about $7,000. It has been vastly improved in recent years, and the payment of the last obligation in 1927 was celebrated by a happy gathering of the membership. The steeple was blown off during a severe wind and thunder storm many years ago. Officers of the Church: Pastor Rev. C. F. Kerr. Choir Leader—Walter Morris. Clerk—Mrs. George Freeman. Treasurer—Mrs. David McConkey. Trustees — Mrs. A. J. Ruppert, George Freeman, Merle Brimhall, Evan Van Hoozen, Kelsey Everill. Deacons — E. M. Phillips, Walter Morris, David McConkey, Frank Snow, Mrs. Ethel Coe, Mrs. Edward Herdklotz, Mrs. Hugh Walton. Unity Circle-President—Pearl Heeren. Vice-President—Mrs. Leota Thurow. Secretary—Mrs. William Drake. Treasurer—Mrs. Martha Bennett. B.Y.P.U.
President— Vice-President—James Phillips. Secretary—Jeanne Nelson. Treasurer—Beth Snow. Intermediate B.Y.P.U. President—Dean Mishler. Vice-President—Martha Bennett-Secretary—Patty Nevin. Treasurer—-Bettie Collen. Sunday School (Organized in 1851) Superintendent—Arthur J. Ruppert. Secretary—Mrs. Merle Brimhall. Treasurer—Mrs. Kelsey Everill. Baptist Men's Club President—George Stock. Secretary-Treasurer — Merle Brimhall.
Mission Circle: President—Mrs. James Dermott. Vice-President—Mrs. W. C. Monroe. Treasurer—Mrs. David McConkey. For many years, owing to deaths and removals, the society had a small membership and was unable to properly support a pastor, but the time was, especially during the pastorate of Rev. D. S. McEwan, when it was one of the strongest organizations in the city, with a large membership and wielding a powerful influence for good. The fact that it has recently cleaned up its indebtedness proves that its growth and influence in later years have been greatly augmented, due to "the faithful" who have ever had its best interests at heart. List of Pastors: Pastors who have served the church since its founding have been the following named: Rev. Whittier, Dec. 14, 1850, to-.
Joel Wheeler, Nov. 24, 1851, to-. S. M. Brown, Aug. 1, 1852, to Mar. 1, 1855. E. F. Gurney, Oct. 1, 1855, to Oct., 1856. G. W. Gates, Feb. 8 to July 31, 1858. S. Washington, Sept. 19, 1858, to December, 1859. N. Colver, Jan. 4 to July 26, 1651. Nathaniel Nimm, June 13, 1861, to— A. C. Hubbard, Oct. 6, 1861 to Oct. 1, 1862- E. O'Brien, January to April 12, 1863. Rev. Ross, April, 1863, to December, 1864. C. B. Egan, December, 1863, to April, 1864. A. S. Freeman, October, 1864, to September, 1865. John Young, Dec. 16, 1865, to-. Wm. M. Haigh, February, 1866, to April 2, 1868. J. Sunderland, May 4, to July, 1868.
I. N. Cannon, July 26, 1868, to Oct. 3, 1869. C. W. Woodruff, Dec. 30, 1869, to—. Rev. Maul, 1870. Horace Burchard, April, 1870, to Dec. 1, 1873. E. A. Ince, Mar. 15, 1874, to June 4, 1880. H. L. Stetson, October, 1874, to. January, 1876. P. S. Cox, May, 1876, to February, 1877. D. S. McEwan, May 20, 1877, to June 7, 1880. E. Anderson, Sept. 5, to Sept. 7, 1880. William Ostler, Oct. 10, 1880, to Aug. 3, 1881. J. D. McLean, Sept. 4, to Dec. 25, 1881. Rev. Clark, supply in 1883. Levi Parmely, Mar. 6, 1883, to Apr. 27, 1884. Henry Happell, Sept. 21, 1884, to Sept. 1, 1886. Edward McClain, short supply. G. W. Kemp, short supply. George P. Wright, Nov. 4, 1898, to May 11, 1890. E. C. Cady, June 1, 1890, to May 15, 1892. John A. McCaw, Nov. 20, 1892, to June 28, 1896. E. P. Stevens, June 6, 1897, to Oct 17, 1898. C. C. Markham, Nov. 16, 1898, to November, 1899. W. E. Sawyer, December, 1899, to Dec. 12, 1900. S. P. Morris, Dec. 16, 1900, to Nov. 7, 1901. S. E. Moon, Nov. 10, 1901, to June 15, 1902. W. I. Fowle, July 11, 1902, to June 21, 1903. I. T. Underwood, Aug. 9, 1903, to May 1, 1905. J. F. Eaker, Sept. 6, 1905, to May 1, 1906. G. C. Crippen, June 10, 1906, to Apr. 17, 1908. L. E. M. Freeman, Oct. 7, 1908, to January, 1909. John Henry Perry, Mar. 7, 1909, to Sept. 15, 1909. W. C. Monroe, Dec. 7, 1909, to Mar. 30, 1913. Herbert H. Smith, Apr. 20, 1913, to July 31, 1920. John L. Hess, Oct. 24, 1920, to Oct. 9, 1921. James McK. Smith, Dec. 4, 1921 to -. Robert H. Lynn, supply for a time. A. R. Axt, Mar. 27 to Sept 30, 1828. James W. Herring, supply for a time. A. F. Waechter, December, 1928, to Oct. 26. 1930. W. W. Meyer, May 1931, to Oct. 28, 1934. C. F. Kerr, Sept. 8 , 1935, (incumbent).
CONGREGATIONAL
Shortly after the cessation of hostilities between the armies of the North and the South—to be more explicit, on Oct. 1865—a group of 16 Presbyterians and one Congregationalist met to establish a new church bearing the latter name, and called Rev. J. J. A. T. Dixon as their first pastor at a salary of $600 per year. For the first few Sundays they met with their Baptist friends and then leased the old familiar Phoenix hall, but measures were taken in the spring of 1866 to erect a church building, a neat and trim house of worship like the New England meeting houses Of early days, which was built free of debt and dedicated to the service of God and on Dec. 13 of that year the first services were held therein.
First Building In 1866
This building was erected on the corner of Dean and South streets and served its purpose until 1906. Its seating capacity was 450 and there were commodious parlors adjacent, but there was a feeling that the times demanded a new and better edifice, so, in the Sunday-school room, of the old church, on April 18, 1906, the matter was broached by Rev. Christopher H Bente, the then ambitious and resourceful pastor, who told of his dream of a new church to the young people assembled there, and they promised their support. At about that time five influential members of the church entered and tried to dissuade him from the plan, but Rev. Bente insisted that he could raise the necessary funds somehow, as he had made preliminary arrangements with a carnival company to come to Woodstock to raise the necessary money and he was confident that the people would support him in the venture. The carnival, participated in by the best of local talent, was a great success, and a fine start was made towards the fund. Soon a contract was entered into and work began, after the old church had been sold and moved away, and on June 2, 1907, the new church, a beautiful and substantial structure was dedicated, costing $12,000. On the following Nov. 25 a Kimball organ was impressively dedicated, and at a later date the church received a Peloubet reed-pipe organ as the gift of Mrs Mary R. Joslyn, of blessed memory, and the edifice was handsomely furnished and carpeted. The beautiful and architecturally complete new parsonage of the congregation was first occupied by Rev. and Mrs. Roy B. Guild, newly-weds and has since had many talented people as its tenants, as the record of pastors retained and bidden good bye amply attests.
Kilburne Served 8 Years
The longest tenure in the office of any pastor of the church was held by Rev. William Kilburne, who Served from June 6, 1909, until May 31, 1917 and who has since been located at Canton, Ills. The first officers of the church in 1865 were: Clerk, A. B. Bidwell; treasurer, William Hart, Jr.; trustees Josiah Dwight, Nelson Diggins and Abner R. Williams; committee to arrange for house of worship, William Hart, Jr, Nelson Diggins and I. E, Baldwin. Pastors who have served the church throughout the years are named as fellows, with the dates of their service: List of Pastors J. J. A. T. Dixon, Oct. 24, 1865, to Oct. 31, 1867; J. R. Danforth, Jan. 1 to Sept. 15, 1868; A. L. Riggs, Jan. 1, 1869, to April, 1870; A. P. Johnson, April 1, 1870, to Nov. 10, 1872, L. V. Price, Jan. 1, 1873, to Nov. 7, 1874; T. C. Northcott, May 1, 1875, to Jan. 1, 1878; M. A. Stevens, April 1, 1878, to Jan. 1, 1879; A. J. Buell, Feb. 23 to May 12, 1895; E. J. Alden, June 22, 1879, to Decv 28, 1880; J. D. Wells, May 1, 1881, to May 1, 1883; W. A. Evans, June 3, 1883, to Aug. 31, 1884; E. B. Boggess, Oct. 12, 1884, to Mar. 11, 1888; I. N. Adrian, Sept. 1, 1888, to Sept. 1, 1890; Harry B. Long, Oct. 22, 1890, to Sept. 1, 1893; Charles E. Enlow, Nov. 1, 1893, to Aug. 1, 1894; William R. Gaylord, Sept. 1, 1894, to Aug. 1, 1896; Roy B. Guild, April 15, 1897, to April 22, 1900, John W. Moore, Nov. 1, 1900, to June 30, 1903; Christopher H. Bentev Oct 4, 1903, to Jan. 31, 1909; William Kilburne, June 6 1909, to May 31. 1917; V. P. Welch, Oct 1, 1917, to Feb. 20, 1918; John W. Herring, Mar 12, 1918, to May, 1920; I. D. Stone, Nov. 1, 1920, to Feb. 21, 1922; J. W. Fifield, Nov. 2, 1922, to Sept. 1, 1924; R. E. E. HarknesS, Oct. 1, 1924, to June 30, 1927; Merodach Green, Sept. 1, 1927, to Feb. 1, 1931; C. Franklin Parker, Sept. 27, 1931, to June 15, 1932; W. D. Pratt, Oct 2, 1932, to April 15, 1936; Kenneth Murphy, Aug. 23, 1936 {incumbent). The resignation of A. S. Wright as treasurer over a long term of years was accepted with d hearty vote of thanks for his faithful and efficient service. In 1911 the chUrch had two subordinate societies called the Ladies' Aid and the Friends in Council, which were ultimately merged, into the Friendly Aid society, which has always done effective work for the church. Present Officers The present Officers and Organizations ot the church and their officers are as follows: Pastor—Rev. Kenneth Murphy. Organist—Louise Jung, Clerk—Walter T. Wheeler. Financial Secretary and Treasurer— Cora White. Custodian of Poor Fund—William Kapping. Trustees —Ralph A. McConnell, Frank J. Hendricks, Joel F. Hoke, Eva Huffman, William P. Rapping, Mrs. Isa Macintyre; Gladys Mills, Junior Member; Raymond Francisco, Junior Member. Deacons—Walter T. Wheeler, Arch Hill, Charles B. Wright, Leroy Kreuger, Junior Deacon; George Mills, Junior Deacon. Friendly Aid Society President—Mrs. F. B. McConnell. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Cyrus Van Dien, Vice-President—Mrs. Roy J. Stewart. Secretary—Belle Kimball. Treasurer—Mrs, E, L. Francisco. Young Women's Evening League President—Mrs. Eva Kapping. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Marian Hanley. Secretary-Treasurer—Mrs. Grace Hibbard. Flame Society Presidents— Betty Francisco and Robert Diggins. Secretary—Evelyn Knaack. Treasurer—Ray Knaack. Chairman, Social Action COmmittee—Joel Hoke. Boy Scout Troop Committee—Arch Hill, Dr. L. Metcalf and H. C. Gensch.
GRACE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN
Believing that it was expedient to organize an English Lutheran church in Woodstock, in 1907 Frank Wienke, Frank Foote, William Kiel and Malte Schwabe directed a request to Rev. William Eckert at Racine, Wis., who forwarded the same to ReV. A. C. Anda, then western superintendent of home missions in North America, and Rev. Anda came to Woodstock, gathered a bunch of sympathetic souls together and held a meeting at which he delivered the sermon at the first service on March 17, 1907, and at which the service was conducted by Mr. J. J. Meyers, of the Chicago Lutheran seminary. About 75 were present at this meeting, from which has grown, with phenomenal success, this prosperous and active society. All of the preliminaries having been properly attended to, a business meeting was called, of which Rev. Anda was chairman and Malte Schwabe secretary, and an organization was perfected that has grown steadily with the increasing years. On May 8, 1907, Rev. Henry J. Behrens took charge of the work, coming quite regularly from the Chicago Lutheran seminary at Maywood until he was ordained in June of the same year. At a congregational meeting following the services a constitution was presented and adopted, and the first church council was elected, consisting of Frank Wienke, Clayton C. Harting, Fred Readel, John Wienke, Frank Foote and Charles Peterson. Up to June of 1908 services were held in the German Presbyterian church on Washington street on Sunday afternoons, which hour was later changed to the mornings.
Kaufman Came In 1909
Rev. H. J. Behrens having received a call to Rose Bay, Nova Scotia, in October of 1908, he resigned and left in November; and until August of the following year the pulpit was filled by a number of students from the seminary, but in the meantime Rev. Roger C. Kaufman, of Aurora, preached a trial sermon and he was called, accepting the charge on Aug. 2, 1909, and was duly installed on Sept. 19 following.
At this time there were four congregations meeting in this church—
the German Presbyterians, German Lutherans, Danish and English Lutherans—-and steps were taken to acquire the church building for the exclusive use of Grace Evangelical Lutheran church, the committee consisting of C. C. Harting, Frank Foote, Gus Handel, Ed Readel and Rev. Kaufman, who purchased the property for $2,000 and a complete settlement was made the following February, which included a donation of $125 from the German Presbyterian society.
Following a humble beginning, several additions were made to the edifice, substantial improvements were made on the church, electric lights and other accessories were added, including a furnace for heating, and the entire expense of about $9,000 was met by subscriptions and cash, making the property one of the most complete church establishments in the city.
1100 Communicants
So steadily and substantially has the membership of the church grown since its inauguration that at the present time the membership approximates 1,100 communicants. Much of the success of this organization has been due to the energy and title spirit the beloved pastor, Rev. Kaufman, who has managed to maintain cordiality and unity among the members, and thus he presides over the second largest Congregation in the city—thrifty, militant and growing steadily, so that there is no foretelling what the ultimate size of the organization will be. There are a number of communicants who come as far as 20 miles to attend the Sunday services. So popular and so well known has become this church that Rev. Kaufman, of late, has performed most of the marriage services Of couples who have come from outside places to be united in holy wedlock. Church Officers: The present church officers are: Secretary—Andrew Clausen,Treasurer—Frank Foote. Benevolent Treas.—Roscoe Jepsen. Statistician—Walter Torgeson. Property Man—Harry Peteit. Fin. Sec—Roy Christiansen, Clarence Foote. These constitute the board of deacons and the board of trustees. The church has several auxiliary organizations officered as follows: Grace Lutheran Circle President—Mrs, Grace Sohst. Vice Pres.—Mrs. Ruth Weiswedel. Secretary—Mrs. Marian Rasmussen. Treasurer—Mrs. Cecil Allen. Grace Ladles' Aid Society President—Mrs. Minnie Heider. 1st Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Iver Johnson. 2nd Vice Pres.—Mrs. Max Schmidt. Secretary—Mrs. Chris Andersen. Treasurer—Mrs, Reka Luedtke. Pianist—Mrs. Ira Trumble. Grace Brotherhood President—Edwin Schroeder. Vice-Pres.—Charles Kirkman. Secretary—Roscoe Jepsen. Treasurer—Carl Senz. Woman's Missionary Society President—Mrs. Howard Stone. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Carl Swanson. Secretary—Mrs. Gus Thon. Treasurer—Mrs. Egbert Evans. The choir leader is Harry Abraham, and the organists are Ethel Wienke and Mrs. George. Burney. Sunday School: There are about 335 members of the Sunday school, of which Miss Ethel Wienke is the superintendent. Miss Stella Jensen is primary superintendent; Mrs. Vernon Burke, in charge of the nursery department, and Mrs. Roscoe Jepsen in charge of the Cradle Roll. Officers of the Luther League are: President—Fred Fotzler. Vice-Pres.—Robert Kreier. Secretary—Violet Heider. Cor. Sec;—Helen Weiswedel. Treasurer—Evelyn Baymiller.
German Presbyterian
This church, which disorganized about 1908 or 1909, when the church building was acquired by the Grace Evangelical Lutherans, was an offshoot of the old church on Queen Anne prairie, which had been in existence since 1853. In 1881 a church edifice was erected on Washington street, a short distance west of Tryon. Rev. Jacob Kolb was the pastor at that time. The committee to raise the funds for the erection of the church was Fred Renich, Henry Herman and Jacob Zimmer. Fred Renich, father of the Sentinel editor, was superintendent of the Sunday school, and after his death in 1890, his widow carried on these duties for many years. Others prominent in the work of this society were Miss Emma Zimmer, who served as organist for a long time, Fred Eppel, Henry Schneider, Sr., the Hansmans, Michael Schneider, the Schaafs, Kapplers, Arnolds, Bachmans and Eckert families. For a number of years after the retirement of Rev. Kolb, the Rev. E. Benzing of Chicago served the church membership by visits here every two weeks. When the church edifice was sold to the Grace Lutherans, the congregation, then reduced by reason of deaths to a comparatively small group, took letters of dismissal and joined with other local churches. The funds from the sale of the church property were distributed to local churches and charities and the history of this church became a closed book.
PRESIDENT BOARD OF EDUCATION. DISTRICT NO. 72 REV. ROGER. C. KAUFMAN [photo] Mr. Kaufman is the dean of Woodstock pastors. He came to Woodstock in 1909, and has been here almost 28 years. Besides his pastoral work, which is very heavy, he takes time to serve as President of Board of, Education, District No. 72, President of the Woodstock hospital board, which will erect a new building this summer at a cost of over $65,000 for building and equipment, member of library board, Civic club and many other activities, not connected with his church. The writer believes Mr. Kaufman carries a heavier responsibility of duties than any other citizen of Woodstock, to every one of which he gives a full measure of attention. He is loved and respected by the entire community.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH [photo] This picture is an artist's conception, drawn before the remodelling of the old Baptist church was done a number of years ago. The original building was erected in 1866 and had the usual church steeple, which was wrecked in a severe storm a number of years ago and not rebuilt.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH [photo] This church was built in 1882. Previous to that time the Presbyrterians worshipped in the "old brick church," a large and commodious building erected in the early fifties, now used as a store house by the Dacy Lumber company. The new church has been added on since it was first built.
GRACE LUTHERAN CHURCH [photo] Originally this was the German Presbyterian church located on Washington street, but in the years following purchase of the property by the Grace Lutherans the building was remodelled, more than doubled in size and changed entirely in appearance both within and on the outside.

Eightieth Anniversary Edition WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL, WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS PAGE FTVE
CHURCHES FILL IMPORTANT ROLL IN COMMUNITY
PRESBYTERIAN
This church was organized Feb. 23, 1846, with Rev. J. B. Plumsted officiating, and the following named had gathered in the little church that stood Where the brick church was later erected, they constituting the charter membership of the church. They had received letters of dismissal from the New School Presbyterian church of Virginia Settlement as follows: Mustoe Given, Allen Dufield, Jesse Slaven. Ann Slaven, Margaret J. Slaven, Naomi C. Slaven, Charles Dufield, Andrew Scott, James Scott, Sarah Scott, Caleb Williams, Cardelia Williams, John Given, Isabella Given, Thomas Lindsay, Mary A. Lindsay, William Gilbert, Catharine Gilbert, William D. Given and Rachel B. Given. These organized into "the old school Presbyterian church according to confession of faith and rules of the Presbyterian church of the United States of America," in the words of the first records, which were signed by Jesse Slaven, clerk. The first ruling elders selected were Mustoe Given, Allen Dufield and Jesse Slaven. Shortly thereafter the little old church building of the organization was moved to Queen Anne prairie, when the brick church was erected on the same site and was used as a house of worship until 1882, when, because of the noise of the trains so near by, the church officials purchased from T. J. Dacy the lots at the corner of Tryon and Calhoun streets, where a residence was located, and there they erected the present edifice, which was dedicated on Christmas day, 1882, during the pastorate of Rev. John D. McLean, being freed of debt through the generosity of those present at the dedicatory services. Later an addition was built to accommodate the Y. P. S. C. E. and the growing needs of the Sunday-school and also to provide a kitchen and dining-room for the social affairs of the society.
Rev. Todd First Pastor
Rev. Richard Kimball Todd served the church as pastor from the time of its organization until 1865, a period of 18 years, and often occupied the pulpit as supply during the succeeding years. Rev. Samuel Cox Hay acted as a supply for a time after Rev. Todd relinquished the pastorate, was pastor from 1870 to 1874, during which time he was compelled to have a supply several times in the person of Rev. Charles Ryder because of a difficulty with his throat, and again took up the charge in May, 1883, remaining until 1911, when he concluded a service of 28 consecutive years, during which he acquired the love and respect of the entire community. His entire pastorate covered more than 30 years, and he did not long survive bis surrender of the same.
The interim between the Todd pastorate and 1869 supplies occupied the pulpit in the persons of John Blood, 1865-6, and John Thomas, 1866-9. Those who have served since that date were: R. Carter Kirkwood, 69-70; J. Emery Fisher, 74-7; John D. McLean, 77-83; Lafayette D. Beck 1912-17; W. J. McDermott, less than a year in 1917; R. B. Guthrie, 17-24; Prof. Crawford, supply; E. Kreider Hershey, 25-30; Glenn 0. Canfield, 30-33; Austin Heuver, Sept. 33, incumbent.
Sorosis Society
The Sorosis society was organized on Oct. 31, 1901, and has been n strong auxiliary of the church. Its present officers are: president—Mrs. Lucy H. Renich. Vice President—Mrs. Flora Johnson. Second Vice-President— Mrs. Clara Richards. Secretary—Mrs. Bess Lawrie. Treasurer—Mrs. Delia Rohloff. Calling Committee— Mrs. Margaret Daniels. Flower Committee—Mrs. Ida Mead.
Woman's Missionary Society
One of the oldest societies in the church, having to do with the general subject of missions, is this organization that has existed and has done good work throughout the years. Its present officers are named as follows: President—Mrs. Emma Buell. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Elmer A. Gregory. Second Vice-President — Mrs. A. Dwight Osborn. Secretary—Mrs. O. G. Mead. Corresponding Secretary—Mrs. T. Zimmermann. Treasurer—Mrs. Bruce W. Lawrie. Secretary Literature—Mrs. E. Eddy. Secretary Education — Miss Lulu Delamere. Secretary Spiritual Life Group— Mrs. M. G. Eckert. Membership—Margaret Daniels. Secretary Young People's Work — Mrs. Dora Taylor. Secretary Over-Seas National Missions—Mrs. James Watt.
Ladies' Aid Society
One of the oldest auxiliaries of the church, whose present officers are: President—Mrs. Exa Allen. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. A. Dwight Osborn. Second Vice-President — Mrs. Lulu Hakes. Sec.-Treas.—Mrs- Dora Taylor.
This organization has always done much towards the furnishing of the church and the care of the same throughout the years.
Ruth Service Guild
One of the youngest organizations is the Ruth Service Guild, started as a missionary auxiliary. Its officers at this time are: President—Mrs. Wilna Abraham. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Eleanor Masslich.
Secretary—Mrs. Hazel Beardsley. Treasurer—Mrs. Mac Rathbun. Historian—Miss Lillian Schroeder. Musician—Mrs. Blanche Cairns.
Publicity—Mrs- Gwyneth Cummins. Flowers—Mrs. Shirley Reese.
Rummage—Mrs. Edna Ebert and Miss Stella Stupfel. Ways and Means—Mrs. Mary Klemme, Miss Jean Mathison, Mrs. Birdie Schroeder and Mrs. Florence Wrigley.
FIRST RESIDENT PREACHER REV. R. K. TODD [Engraving]
REV. SAMUEL C. HAY [photo] Beloved pastor of the Presbyterian church for 33 years. Mr. Hay's ministrations to the poor and lowly and his nobleness of heart and character will live in memory until the last child who knew him passes to the Beyond. Died July 17, 1911.
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH [photo]
This church edifice was built in 1906 and completed in 1907, at a cost of about $12,000. This was accomplished largely through the efforts of Rev. C. H. Bente, who was pastor here at that time.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL
This society in Woodstock was organized in October 1850, by Rev. Morehouse, although there had been various work along this line during earlier years of the county, when pioneer preachers visited all of the region between Marengo and McHenry on the east and Beloit and Rockford on the west in what was known as circuit riders and theirs was a strenuous life, the first having been a mission to the Indians who then inhabited this territory.
When Centerville, later changed to Woodstock, arose Woodstock was a preaching point in the Crystal Lake circuit. When the local church was organized the following named appeared as charter members: L. Cutting and wife, Mrs. C. Ramsay. Mrs. Dr. Rose, Mrs. Mary Sherwood, George Starr and wife, Silas Wilson and wife and William Montgomery and wife. The first church officers were George Starr, S. O. Gregory, W. H. Murphy, Silas Wilson, James G. Murphy, John Rider, Andrew Murphy and Owen Murphy, stewards; Charles McClure and I. H. Fairchild, local preachers. The Methodists built a church at Virginia settlement, north of Ridgefield in 1838, which was blown down in a storm, and in 1849 they erected a church on Queen Anne prairie and at Franklinville, April 29, 1848, a committee consisting of Mr. Bentley, J. K. Torbutt and M. J. Rider was appointed to estimate the cost of building a church at Woodstock, but the church they contemplated was never built.
First Meetings
The first meetings of the local organization were held in a school house and later in the old Excelsior and Phoenix halls on the south side of the square, and in 1862 they purchased the Baptist church, mentioned elsewhere in this department, which they used until 1971, when the house of worship was erected at Throop and South streets that was destroyed by fire, Feb. 4, 1923. During the construction of this church a tremendous windstorm broke and it was only by strenuous efforts that the frame work was held in place until the wind subsided. This was one of the largest and most commodious places of meeting in the city for many years. It cost $8,000. The new house of worship was constructed during the pastorate of Rev. John M. Schneider and was dedicated by Bishop Thomas Nicholson on March 9, 1924. Its cost was $78,000, and under Rev. Schneider's direction the entire amount was raised and nearly all of it paid into the treasury. A slab "dedicated to the memory of George and Eleanor Bentley and J. M. Matheny, whose devotion to this church shall never be forgotten," tells a story of faithfulness to duty and help in a financial way that speaks louder than the words. William Class and Mrs. Julia Herrington were also generous benefactors of the church.
Notable Pastorates
There have been some memorable pastorates in this well-known church, particularly worthy of mention being those of Rev. N. A. Sunderlin. who served the congregation and the public for nine years, making a record that has been unexcelled in Methodism in Illinois, and the pastorate of Rev. Samuel Earngey, who later became a bishop, was also of note, for it was during his tenure that several memorable revivals were held, the most noteworthy evangelist having been Mrs. Caldwell, who thrilled her audiences by her zeal and devotion bringing many prominent citizens into the fold. The present membership of the church is about 500, and the church is abundantly equipped to give the community and its families a noble service for many years to come, list of Pastors According to a brochure issued by Rev. George T. Nesmith, containing complete directors covering all of the ttctivities of the church, the following named having been its pastors from the beginning to the present date: Samuel Richardson (local elder); C. Lazenby; J. W. Agard; L. K. Davis; W. C. Willing; Edmund Cook; H. L. Martin; G. Wallace, 1847; Rev. Morehouse, 1850; Rev. Guyer, 1855; Rev. Burlimgame, 1856; Edward Brown, 1857; Joseph Hartwell, 1858; D. W. Lynn, 1859; G. G. Lyon, 1860; Edward Brown, 1861; W. H. Smith, 1862; W. A. Cross, 1864; M. B. Cleveland, 1865; G. L. Stuff, 1867; Calvin Brookings, 1868; S. T. Show, 1871; M. H. Triggs, 1872; N. D. Fanning, 1873; E. M. Boring, 1874; J. Hartman, 1874; Alonzo Newton, 1875; Samuel Earngey, 1877; John Adams, 1881; George K. Hoover, 1883; M. H. Plumb, 1885; Henry Lea, 1887; J. J. Walter, 1889; Frank R. McNamer, 1892; N. A. Sunderlin, 1895: Thomas G. Cocks, 1904; J. W. Hackley. 1906; Truman R. Greene, 1909; C. D. Wilson, 1914; J. A. Matlack, 1917; F. A. Graham, 1918; J. M. Schneider, 1922; George T. Nesmith, 1926; Roderick Murray, 1930; Joseph Burrows, 1935; Albert A. Bauman, 1936; J. R. Drees, 1936 (incumbent). The interim between the successive dates indicates the length of service of the respective pastors, as they served by designation of the annual conferences of the church and the bishop of the conference.
Church Officers
Current church officers are: Board of Trustees—L. G. Wilcox, George A. Hunt, E. E. Greenley, Thos M. Reese, Howard Sears, Guy E. Still, Wm. S. McConnell, V. D. Sherburne, Clarence A. Coonrad. Board of Stewards—J. W. Moore, Dr. O. W. McClusky, L. W. Gratton, Mrs. Henry Pugh, Mrs. G. L. Miller, E. E. McBroom, W. P. Miller, Melvin Belcher, Mrs. Carrie Wehner, Daniel Andrew, Clifford Harvey, Miss Carrie Rushton, Otto Lindgren, Clarence A. Coonrad, Mrs. Ella Moore, R. O. Andrew; J. McBroom, Anna Spencer, Myrtle Housholder, Lura Still. Mrs Minnie Brown, Dr. O. E. Nelson, Robert Peacock, James Tappan, Dr. H W. Sandeen, Charles H. Francis, W. H Robinson, Chas. H. Belcher, Mrs. Earle Bigelow, John H. Brock, H. F. Eames. Ed. C. Becking, Mrs. E. A. Dibler, Clair Little, Dwight Wilson, Walter Wagner, Leslie Warren, Ruth Bigelow. There are numerous subordinate officers and societies within the church, named as follows: Recording Steward— Myrtle Housholder. Treasurer—Donald Still. Treasurer Benevolences— Carrie Wehner. Director Religious Education—Clifford Harvey. Director Social and Recreational Life—Ernest Hanson. Superintendent Church School—Mrs Howard Sears. Superintendent Queen Esthers—Mrs. H. F. Eames. President Epworth League— Scout Master—Ed. Dibler. Delegate to Conference —Chas. H. Francis. Alternate Delegate—-W. H. Robinson; Woman's Foreign Missionary Society
Present officers of this organization are: President—Mrs. John Conerty. Vice-President—Mrs. J. R. Drees. Secretary—Mrs. C. H. Francis. Treasurer—Mrs. E. E. Greenley.
Young Women's Missionary Society Those holding office in this society are: President—Miss Jennie Cairns. Vice-President—Mrs. Orville Kerns. Secretary—Mrs. Thelma Burden. Treasurer—Mrs. Olive Still.
Dorcas Society
Present officers are: President—Mrs. E. L. Martin. 1st Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Earle Bigelow. 2nd. Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Carrie Wehner, Secretary—Mrs. Will Belcher. Treasurer—Mrs. Irene Dietz.
Women's Home Missionary Society Officers of this organization are: President—Mrs. G. J. Miller, 1st Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Chas. Belcher. 2nd Vice-Pres.—Mrs. Geo. Beu. 3rd Vice-Pres—Miss Mildred Young. Rec. Sec—Mrs. I. R. Kelsey. Cor. Sec.—Mrs. H. O. Sears. Treasurer—Mrs. Minnie Brown. Mothers' Jewels—Mrs. Carrie Wehner. Spiritual Life—Mrs. E. E. Greenley. Christian Citizenship—Miss Lorraine Curtis.
Missionary Education — Mrs. Will Robinson. Mite Box—Mrs. David Floyd. Thank Offering—Mrs. G. J. Miller.
EPWORTH LEAGUE There are two Epworth Leagues in this church, the Senior League and the Hi group. Present officers in the Senior organization are: President—Lois Turner. Vice Presidents—Leota Becking, Edward Spencer, Chas. Redeker. Secretary—Walter Silliman. Treasurer—Billy Sandeen. Pianist—Carl McBroom. Councilor—Mr. and Mrs. John Brock. In the High League the following officers preside: President—Ed. Dibler, Jr. 1st Vice Pres.—James Sebastian. 2nd Vice Pres.-Robert Lee. 3rd Vice. Pres.-Jean Grammar and June Meyer. 4th Vice-Pres.—Billy Sandeen. Secretary—Robert McBroom. Treasurer—Howard McBroom. Pianists—Muriel Sandeen and Frances Stovall. Councilor—Mrs. Ole Lee.
REV N. A. SUNDERLIN [photo] Rev. Sunderlin's pastorate in Woodstock was from 1895 until 1904. After his retirement from active service he took up his permanent residence here, where he continued to give of his talent and rich experiences much of good to the entire community.
He was loved by all, and his wide acquaintance and spirit of Christian helpfulness brought him into many homes of sorrow, to which he brought consolation and peace. He died May 2, 1835, aged 86 years.
FREE METHODIST
This society was organized here about the year 1887, although most of its members had worshiped in the little church at Pleasant Valley, about four miles south of town, for many years. Its first meetings were held at the Orphans' home and at the homes of members. In the year 1893 a small brick church was erected at the corner of Jefferson and East Jackson streets, modest in appearance, but cosy and comfortable, and it was dedicated free of debt. About the year 1905, with an abiding faith in the future, the members erected a new edifice at the corner of East street and McHenry avenue, and has since prospered and flourished there. For several years the pastor was John Harvey, who also served two other charges. He was succeeded by Charles B. Wetherell, who, after a few years of service, withdrew from the church and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal conference. Later Rev. Wilkinson and Rev. Willing served the church. The present pastor is Rev. Newton W. Fink. The church has a fine Sunday-school of which Mrs. Flora Clyde is superintendent; Mana Gillim. sec-treas., and Newton Fink chorister. The board of trustees includes: Herbert Kiltz, Herbert Gensch, Chas. Mibbens, E. H. Fritz.
Woman's Missionary Society. President—Mrs. Lydia Gaudin. Secretary—Mrs. Mae Kiltz. Treasurer—Mrs. Eva Marshall.
Young People's Society: Superintendent—Mrs. N. W. Fink. President—Mrs. Wendel Sparrow. Secretary—Leroy Carlson. Treasurer—Newton Fink.
Junior Missionary Society: Miss Elizabeth Everitt is superintendent of this group of young people.
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran
As far back as 1869 Lutheran clergymen came to Woodstock to serve the few Lutheran families with the Word of God. During the first six years divine services were conducted in private homes by the following ministers: Henry Schmidt, Sr., of Dundee, F. W. Richman, of Elgin, and Adam Detzer, of Des Plaines. In later years the members assembled in the lecture room of the old Methodist Episcopal church and in the G. A. R. hall. In the fall of 1875, under the leadership of Pastor H. G. Schmidt, of Crystal Lake, about thirteen men united in establishing a Lutheran congregation and adopted a constitution, in which they declared and confessed that the Bible, the inspired Word of God, alone was and should be norm and rule of doctrine and practice among them. In 1892 the congregation, then numbering about 25 families, purchased a vacant church building for the price of $1,700. The future looked, rosy, and the prospects bright. But hardly were the necessary alterations completed when this house of worship was destroyed by fire. In the year 1898 the Lord gladdened the hearts of His faithful flock with the realization of a new church edifice. This building cost approximately $3,000, including interior decorations. It may be of interest to know that among the voting members whose names appeared en the membership role in 1898 the following are still with us: Carl Sahs, August Kindt, Carl Ohlrich, Henry Schmarje, Carl Hoebe, Carl Puttbrese and William Kunde. In the month of June, 1907, the Gilmore property, one block south of the church, was secured for a parsonage at a cost of $4,000, on which the present parsonage was built.
Church Pastors
During the past sixty years the following ministers served this congregation: H. G. Schmidt, 1875-1880; M. Heier, 1880-1883; Carl Schmidt, 1883-1894; H. Engelbrecht, 1894-1896; H. Dannenfeldt. 1896-1902; J. Bertram, 1902-1912; H. Laufer, 1912-1927; Paul Reetz, 1927-1929; and since February, 1930 Herman P. Meyer has been serving the congregation. Since 1910 the congregation has also maintained a Christian day-school, in which Christian principles permeate the entire course of studies. The Christian day-school promotes the growth of baptismal grace, and imparts intelligent knowledge of Christian religion. It lays the foundation for nonest and honorable citizenship, Christian conscience and character. Called teachers having served the school were Messrs. Ernst and Koester, and at the present time, E. Wittmus. Supply teachers were Messrs. Allman, Amt, and Senne. Additional religious instruction is given in the Sunday-school, week-day religious class and Bible class. The St. John's congregation is ruled by a general voters' body made up of four deacons, three trustees, secretary, treasurer and. chairman. The four deacons are John Ritter, Sr., Paul Hildebrandt, August Gerloff and Marcellus Senne. Trustees are Gust Guhrke, Frank Schuett and Albert Gerloff. Secretary—E. Wittmus. Treasurer—Edward Senne. Financial Secretary—Ernest Foote. Chairman—Harold Beth. School deacons are: Albert Steinway and Max Schmarje.
St. John's Ladies' Aid. The present officers are: President—Mrs. Harold Schmidt. Treasurer—Mrs. Chas. Corey. Secretary—Mrs. H. Meyer.
Walther League Present officers are: President—John Musser. Secretary—Audrey Ladwig. Treasurer—Wm. Musser.
SCIENTIST
A small group interested in Christian Science held their first meeting in the home of one of the group, Jan. 5, 1908. From that time on, the Sunday services were held regularly and on Wednesday evening, Sept. 29, 1908 the first mid-week Service was held. A children's class was started on October 16, 1910, and met regularly from then on. On January l, 1911, a room in the county court house, in Woodstock, was secured in which to hold the services. These early students organized as the Christian Science Society of Woodstock, Illinois, July 30, 1912, and continued to hold services in the county court house until the residence on a lot on the corner of Dean and South streets was purchased, August 1, 1914. and the residence remodelled. Following the occupancy of this building a Christian Science Reading Room was opened in April, 1915, in part of this same building.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, Woodstock, Illinois, the outgrowth of the Christian Science Society, was incorporated Jan. 27, 1916.
Since that time this church has continued to grow and it is with deep gratitude that the Board of Directors announce that the erection of a new church building on this same location, is now In process of construction. This new church edifice on the south-west corner of South and Dean streets is nearing completion and when finished will be one of the most beautiful edifices in Woodstock. The editor sincerely regrets that he is unable to present a picture in this edition.
W. C. T. U.
While not a church organization, this society's work is of such a purely moral and religious character, although absolutely non-sectarian, that it is deserving of mention in this connection.
The first organization of the W. C. T. U. in this city was perfected more than twenty years ago, and it has steadily grown in membership and usefulness up to the present time. Regular semi-monthly meetings are held, and all lines of W.C.T.U. work are prosecuted with vigor and intelligence. Its membership embraces the representative motherhood of the city. Its present officers are: President—Mrs. Eva Marshall.
Vice-Pres—-Mrs. John Conerty. Secretary—Mrs. Mattie Dermott. Treasurer—Mrs. Lydia Gaudin. Publicity—Miss Ora Senger.
OLD METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH [photo]
This picture will bring back many fond recollections of old timers who over the years worshipped in this building. It was destroyed by fire about 15 years ago, and in a short time after a beautiful new edifice costing almost $80,000 was erected under the direction of Rev. J. M. Schneider, and dedicated by Bishop Nicholson on March 9, 1924.
Woodstock Nash-LaFayette Sales WM. H. SCHMIDT - C.A.COREY Phone 569 410 Clay Street Exclusive Agents For Nash and Lafayette Cars For Woodstock and Sharon, Wis. Also Handling Reo Trucks. We are equipped to service and repair all makes of cars. Good buys in used cars at all times. They are sold with a positive guarantee on any car $200 and over. Texaco Gasoline, Oils and Greases

WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL, WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS Eightieth Anniversary Edition Page Six
CHURCES FILL IMPORTANT ROLL IN COMMUNITY
CATHOLIC
St. Mary's church was organized in Woodstock about the year 1854 by Father McMahon, who died of yellow fever in the South five years later. Among prominent and influential citizens who assisted in the organization were: Neill Donnelly, John Donnelly, Francis Short and John J. Murphy. The organization first held services at Hartland until 1856, when the first church edifice was erected on what is now Lincoln avenue at a cost of $4,000, with a seating capacity of 250. In 1881 the building was remodeled and improved and its seating capacity increased to 400, and the property was valued at $12,000. This church served the organization, comprising a membership of about 1,000, until 1909, when the present church on Tryon street was erected at a cost of $60,000, its dedication on Passion Sunday, 1910, being by Bishop Muldoon and marking an event in the religious history of the city, and many prominent local protestants assisted in presenting the musical program on that happy occasion. Three years later the church was free of debt, and the pipe organ, a gift of Mrs. Murphy, in memory of her daughter, Evelyn, cost $7,000. Rev. D. J. Conway, the priest in charge when this pretentious improvement was made, proved himself a fine administrator. Other improvements made on the property have been of great proportions until no point in the state can show a more comprehensive equipment for the purposes of the Catholic organization. School Built In 1916
The original brick church was demolished in 1916 and in its stead arose a beautiful two-story parochial school building that is the pride of the people. It has capacity for the accommodation of the Catholic children in the grades and in the high school, with a commodious auditorium and a club room of ample size. It, and the added ground cost the parish about $50,000. Only a few years ago the organization constructed an immense gymnasium just north of the new church which is used by the church and the community in general for various athletic and sporting events and has been the scene of many interesting contests of skill and endurance.
In the early days this parish was attended from Hartland and mass was offered in private homes, the priests who attended having been Rev. Fathers Hugh T. Brady, 51-2; and P. Hampton, May 53-55. The first resident pastor was Father Bernard O'Hara, 55-8, and succeeding him following named: James Meagher, 59-60, associated with Father Hempstead; Terrence Fitzsimmons, 60-8; J. M. Ryan, part of 68; P. W. Riordan, assisted by Peter Sheedy and Father Egan, 68-9; Thomas Quigley, part of 69; L. Lightner, 69-70; Lawrence J. Dunn, 70-1, J. Lyons and Rev. Ryan, D. D.; John Carroll, 70-7; Thomas F. Leydon, 77-85; James F. Clancy, 85-95; H. F. Quinn, 95-05; M. F. Gilmartin, 05-9; D. J. Conway, 09-29; J. M. Lonergan, 29-34; J. M. Egan, incumbent).
Various Church Societies The church maintains an Altar and Rosary society, a Mariola club, a Junior and Senior Holy Name society, and a large lodge of the Knights of Columbus, besides a well-attended Sunday-school. It was during Rev. Gilmartin's pastorate that a new Parish house was built, ground was added to the cemetery and the first $30,000 were collected for the new church, of which $20,000 had been given by Mrs. Elizabeth Murphy. The corner stone of this new church was solemnly placed by Rev. Bishop Muldoon on May 23, 1909.
The first baptism in the church was on April 4, 1852, the participant being Katherine, daughter of James and Katherine Quinn. The first marriage solemnized there was on May 27, 1852, the contracting parties having been John Long and Johanna Haley. Benefactors whose names are worthy of mention in the early church of St. Mary's were Neill Donnelly, Mrs. Cornelius Quinlan and Mrs. Elizabeth Murphy. The school has about 200 pupils, with about 25 in the high school. Conspicuous in the choir of this church for many years were such well-known vocalists as the Misses Quinlan, the Misses Murphy, the first Alois Dreyer and many others.
Present officers of organizations in St. Mary's church are: Holy Name Society President—Joseph E. Neiles. Vice-President—Charles E. Murphy. Secretary—James R. Riley, Jr. Treasurer—H. T. Cooney. Spiritual Director—Fr. Jos. M. Egan. Mariola Club President—Mrs. Kathryn Cooney. Vice-President—Mrs. Richard Farrell. Secretary—Mrs. Irwin Burger. Treasurer—Miss Lillian McGee. Altar and Rosary Society Officers at the present time are: President—Mrs. Ray Corr. Vice-President—Mrs. Frank Purvey. Sec.-Treas. —Mrs. John Ryan. Young Ladies' Sodality, The present officers are: President—Loretta Buckley. Vice-President—Lucile Koca. Secretary—Mildred Wiseman. Treasurer—Catherine Schroeder.
St. Mary's Graduates
The graduates of St. Mary's high school since the first commencement exercises have been as follows: Class of 1927 Harold R. Ewen, Mildred C. Rabbitt, Walter A. Guth, Marie J. Haznow, Lucille R. Pete,r Avice D. Pierce, Adalbert J. Anderson, Margaret M. Hallisy, Mary G. Hangarter, Marie M. O'Holleran, Clayton L. Wallis, Eldridge W. Wilcox, Mary M. Walsh, Marie L. Wurtzinger, Mary E. Goodman, Margaret Feuerhorn. Class of 1928 James F. Bovis, Adeline M. Peter, Ethel L. Green, Charles G. Pratt, Georgia M. Brennan. Class of 1929 Harold Stone, Raymond Hallisy, Lyle Desmond, Eugene O'Connor, Frances Haley, Armour Wallace, William Wurtzinger. Class of 1930 Mary Fuchs, Mary E. Stone, Edna Guth, Margaret Nihan, Helen Hayes, George Welcome, Mary Horick, Raymond Rabbitt, Charles McGee, Lucille McGuire, Lela Pratt, Frederick Brink, Louise Trott, Donald McNamara. Class of 1931 Helen A. Allen, George C. Meyers Loretto C. Brady, Alene O'Holleran, John J. Brandlin, Raymond T. Riley, Mary A. Brown, Kenneth V. Schmid, Elen M. Gaffney, Raymond A. Schmitt, John J. Green, Michael J. Brown, Alice M. Mann, Elizabeth M. Fisher, Rosemary M. Desmond. Class of 1932 Eleanor F. Corr, James R. Carlisle, Helen E. Ewen, Eugene L. O'Brien, Harold W. Haley, Cecelia C. Umathum, Marie J. Neiles, Margaret J. Leonard, Adelaide A. Muto, Norbert C. Burnham. Class of 1933 Arthur Brink, Edgar Daily, Jane Lumley, Roy Meyers, Helen O'Brien, Helen Riley, Margaret Corcoran. Catherine Allen, Richard Burke, Eleanor Desmond, Margaret Flood, Florence Gallagher, Dolores McCarthy. Class of 1934 Robert McGee, Anna Kane, Edna Riley, Grace Schmid, Sue Stone, Leo Warner, Eleanor Wilcox, Francis Mackey, Lucille Desmond, Margaret Burke, Harold Cooney, Ruth Fitzgerald. Class of 1935 Paul Brandlin, Virgene Haley, Wayne Brown, Emma Mackey, Jo Ann Burke, James Toomey, Frances Flood, Constance Clark, Margaret O'Brien. Class of 1936 Tone L. Jones, Fern E. Klicke, Helen F. White, Elwood R. Sahs, Helen T. Cooney, George J. Wurtzinger, Marguerite E. Burkhart, Charles J. Meyers, James P. Quinlan, Charles T. Trainor, J. Edwin Conway, James H. Cooney.
ST. MARY'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL [photo] Built in 1916. About 200 students from the first grade up to and including a four year high school course attend this school.
REV. FATHER D. J. C0NWAY [photo] Was one of Woodstock's most beloved pastors over a period of twenty years. He came to Woodstock in 1909, succeeding Father M. S. Gilmartin. His service to his parish was most outstanding, but his service to the entire community gained for him the love and respect of Catholics and non-Catholics alike and his memory is revered by all. He died October 21, 1929, aged 65 years, the victim of a most unfortunate automobile accident, which closed a mast useful career.
ST. MARY'S CHURCH In Woodstock [PHOTO] Built in 1909-10 at a cost of $60,000. This building was begun under the pastorate of Father Gilmartin, but completed under the direction of Father D. J. Conway.
ST. MARY'S GYMNASIUM [photo] St. Mary's Gym. has an important place in many of Woodstock's public affairs. It has the largest floor space of any public building and is extensively used for sports, dancing and other gatherings.
ST. PATRICK'S CATHOLIC CHURCH [photo] Located at Hartland
This parish was in fact the parent parish of Woodstock. Until 1856 Woodstock Catholics worshipped at Hartland, and for many years the Hartland parish, consisting entirely of a farming community, has prospered, at present many of the older Catholic families have left the farm and non-Catholics taken their places. Rev. Father J. M. Tully is the present pastor. Each year during the summer months St. Patrick's holds a home coming event on one chosen Sunday at which time hundreds of former communicants and friends from Woodstock, Harvard, Chicago and elsewhere gather to worship, enjoy a bounteous chicken dinner and renew acquaintances and friendships.
I CONGRATULATE THE WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL ON THEIR 80 YEARS OF SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS—AND TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO THANK THE MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE HELPED MAKE MY FIRST TEN YEARS IN PRACTICE A SUCCESS. Paul A. Schwabe, O. D.
Cronin Style Shoppe Located in the Hoy Block A Complete Line of Women's Wear Is offered for your selection. The latest modes at reasonable prices. You Ladies we cordially invite to visit our store and inspect our display. It will be a pleasure to serve you.
Hoesley's Bakery EAT Golden Crust Bread. FANCY BAKED GOODS OUR SPECIALTY
EXPERT BODY AND FENDER WORK An expert on body and fender work and repainting is in our employ. We have also installed a "Sun" Motor Analyzer, giving a complete motor diagnosis and scientific tune-up. Let us make this new test on your car. HURLEY MOTOR SALES BUICK, PONTIAC CARS AND G. M. C. TRUCKS SALES AND SERVICE Telephone 640 Woodstock 106 Church St.

Eightieth Anniversary Edition WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL. WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS PAGE SEVEN
The Old Original Red Front Drug Store of A. S. Wright
A. S. Wright was born Feb. 14, 1847, in Pompey, Onondaga county, N.,Y. In early life he learned the drug business at Manlius, N. Y. At 16 years of age he enlisted in Company E, 22nd New York Cavalry. In the year 1864 he had charge of the medical department at Fort Schuyler, New York harbor. In the last year of the Civil war he participated in the battles of Shenandoah Valley, under General Sheridan, and was mustered out of the service at Winchester, Virginia, in August, 1865.
Mr. Wright came West in 1866 and entered the drug business at Woodstock. He was then 19 years of age, and since that date has continued in business in Woodstock, a period of seventy-one years.
The OLD ORIGINAL RED FRONT DRUG STORE is the oldest established business in Woodstock, continuously owned and conducted by the same person. Todd School for Boys started in 1848, the Woodstock Sentinel and Medlar's Studio in 1856, but all of these institutions have changed control during these years. Medlar's Studio was established by John S. Medlar, and is now conducted by his son, Herbert B. Medlar.
When Mr. Wright came to Woodstock in 1866 he was first employed by Dr. W. P. Adams, his former employer at Manlius, N. Y. In 1869 he formed a partnership with John S. Wheat, but in 1880 he commenced business for himself and has continued alone since. Although 90 years of age Mr. Wright is personally back of the counters of his drug store every day, just as he has been over more than 70 years past and although he has an able assistant in the person of William F. Glazier, he waits personally on his many loyal patrons compounding medicines, assisting the customer in selecting merchandise, handing out cigars or wrapping packages. All honor to this veteran of business men in Woodstock. The Daily Sentinel, now celebrating its career of 80 years, in Woodstock, extends congratulations to this honored merchant who has been a loyal friend of this newspaper ever since he entered business in this city, 71 years ago.
PENNY MITES IS LOCAL CHARITY ORGANIZATION
(Continued from page one) have always been willing hands to help carry it on. In the early years much time was spent in making aprons, sunbonnets, garments, quilts and comforters, and the work of piecing blocks and making comforters is still carried on, but this constitutes only a fraction of the society's multitudinous activities. When the society was first organized and as the need for more money was apparent, the society added to its activities, giving entertainments, public suppers, dime teas, a band concert and using other means to raise the money. The year 1904 was its most profitable one from the money standpoint, and it was on Feb. 11 of that year that the society took full charge and edited a 16-page edition of the Woodstock Sentinel, which was twice the size of the regular issues of the paper. The business manager of this edition was Mrs. J. D. Donovan, while the editor-in-chief was Mrs. John A. Dufield, and there were many other portions of the job that were ably handled by members of the society. The effort was crowned with great success, netting the society its first $500, and so great was the success that the Chicago papers took notice of the effort and published the faces of the staff, especially the Chicago Chronicle of Feb. 21 of that year. Four years succeeding came the "Penny Mite Cook Book," dedicated to the citizens of Woodstock, and this cook book still holds a prominent place in the homes of the people, not only in Woodstock, but in other parts of the land. In 1921 a revised edition of this book was issued and dedicated "to the cherished memory of Miss Mattie Richards, former president of the Penny Mite Society, whose unceasing devotion to the aims of our organization and whose many acts of charity, made her best beloved of presidents." These books were all readily sold, and these three ventures proved financially the main foundation upon which the society has worked, although the donations of money and materials by friendly persons must not be overlooked in recounting the experiences of the years. No race, nationality or creed has been overlooked in the gracious minisrations of this noteworthy organization, and for this reason the society has been called "the society that gives everything and asks nothing"—except the good opinions of its friends and well-wishers. Throughout the years the members of the society have not overlooked the social side of life and have indulged in many social events as well as organized trips to various scenes of interest throughout the country, such as excursions to Geneva lake, Madison, Zion City, Ft. Sheridan and a tally-ho ride in Chicago, where pictures were taken for future contemplation. The trips were always financed by the individual members. To dwell upon the multitudinous activities of this organization would fill more space than can be allotted in this number of The Sentinel, but it is the truth to say that the women who have conducted the Penny Mite society have won and deserve the encomiums of a grateful populace- and undoubtedly will receive the rewards merited by those who look after "the least of these." Their names shine on "fame's eternal scroll" as surely as do those of others who have done meritorious, generous service in the cause of humanity everywhere. The personnel of the present executive committee of the society embraces the following named well-known women: Mmes. A. B. Pratt, Clara Sherman, W. F. Glazier, Kate Bennett, Geo. W. Lemmers, Clyde C. Miner, Josie Zimpelmann, Nellie Senger, Harriet Whitworth, Jacob Dellenbach, Reid A. Pratt and Charles P. Barnes. So keen is the appreciation of the writer for this splendid organization that we gladly would embalm its virtues and accomplishments in song, but the muse is too feeble to do the matter justice, so we add finis by saying, "God bless the noble doers-of-good in the Woodstock Penny Mite society." The present officers are Mrs, E. C. Bodenschatz, president; Mrs. Martha Backhus, vice-president; Mrs. Minnie Brown, secretary and Mrs. Luzena Pratt, treasurer.
One Man Can Do Nothing Alone
IT USED TO BE That the efforts of the individual farmer were concerned almost entirely with production problems arising within his own line fences that had to be solved by himself and his family.
TODAY IT IS DIFFERENT
The farm business like any other well managed manufacturing institution to be successful must invest part of its gross income in expense items relating to other activities than production such as:
Research For Solving Farm Question, Information For Better Farming, Purchasing of Needed Farm Supplies, Legislative Representation, Sales Promotion for New Farm Products. The Farm Bureau is best equipped to furnish these services to farmers and at a cost much lower than that charged by industrial organizations furnishing the same quality of organization functions. Join The McHenry County Farm Bureau.
We Join the Many Friends of This Newspaper In Extending 80th Anniversary Congratulations. In the 22 YEARS we have been doing business, we have made it a point to render prompt, courteous, and expert service. Our unusually large stock of new and used machinery and repairs enables us to give our customers what they want, when they want it, and at the right price. When our 80th anniversary rolls around, we hope we shall have sustained the fine record we have had in the past. BAKKOM BROS. International Harvester Co. and McCormick-Deering Dealers Hebron, Ill. Tel. 40. Woodstock, Ill. Tel. 91. Zenda, Wis. Tel. 774.
We congratulate you Woodstock Daily Sentinel for your 80 years faithful service. We too celebrated our 10th Anniversary February 28th, 1937. During this time we have handled a complete line of quality groceries. Within the past year we have added a meat department so that we are now better prepared to serve the public. We carry only high grade meats. Our free delivery service stands ready to give your order prompt attention. We wish to thank all those who have made the past ten years successful ones for us and hope that we may continue to serve them. Eckert & Bending, Woodstock, Illinois. Phone 51 Phone 52 Quality Meats and Groceries

PAGE EIGHT WOODSTOCK DAILY SENTINEL, WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS, EIGHTIETH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
WIENS
In March, 1894, M. N. Wien came to Woodstock to make this city his permanent home, to establish a business and raise his family. For forty-three years the name Wien has been identified with Woodstock's growth and progress. In business, in civic life, in the public schools and in every local activity, both in war and in peace, the name Wien has played its part. How well—it is not for us to judge. With the growth of the Wien Department Store the reputation of M. N. Wien as a progressive merchant became favorably known far and wide, and in this field he continued to build and expand until death brought his career to a close. Wien's Women's Wear was established in 1933 by a younger generation, has taken its place in Woodstock merchandising and seeks to gain the approval of the buying public. This approval can only be obtained on merit and honest service to its patrons. The progress and growth during these few short years of Wien's Women's Wear encourages us to still greater efforts to meet the demands of our patrons. We shall strive to serve you with the newest selections and modes of the leading manufacturers always marked at the lowest consistent prices. By maintaining this policy we hope to continue to deserve and merit your patronage. At this time we congratulate the Woodstock Sentinel upon its 80th Anniversary Celebration. WIEN'S WOMEN'S WEAR
We Congratulate You! Woodstock Sentinel On Your Record—80th Anniversary. INDEPENDENTLY OWNED ROYAL BLUE FOOD STORES BEST QUALITY ALWAYS. WE, TOO—Have built a record to be proud of, in the distribution of the finest Quality Foods MEATS - GROCERIES - FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES DAILY. QUALITY - ECONOMY - SERVICE, are the outstanding fundamentals of business and the strict adherence to these principles has, in the short space of less than three years made us one of the most outstanding, and complete food establishments in our entire community. This store is independently owned and operated by your fellow neighbor. Free Delivery Service in Woodstock Telephones 661 - 662
FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF WOODSTOCK, ILLINOIS THIS BANK'S GROWTH The First National Bank of Woodstock, Illinois, opened for business on May 9,1934, with total deposits of $681,057.95, which had been turned over to it for distribution by a former bank. After less than three years, on February 9, 1937, its deposits had increased to $1,084,348.04. We appreciate this expression of confidence in our bank by the people of this community. We gladly make local loans on McHenry county real estate and other forms of good collateral. DIRECTORS HENRY C. MURPHY, President Upper Avenue National Bank, Chicago. GEORGE F. ECKERT, Hall & Eckert, Lumber and Coal. DAVID R. JOSLYN, JR., Attorney. WILLIAM M. CARROLL, State's Attorney McHenry County. JOHN M. HOY, CHAS. W. WHITING, FRANK J. GREEN.
COMPARATIVE STATEMENTS We invite you to make a careful study of the two condensed statements of the condition of this bank published here. The first column is for the date of our opening, May 9,1934, and the second is for December 31, the last day of 1936. We are pleased to call your attention to the steady growth of deposits for each year as shown under the heading "Growth of Deposits." Call This Bank "Your Bank" We will be glad to serve you. OFFICERS
HENRY C. MURPHY, Chairman of the Board
FRANK J. GREEN, President
GEORGE F. ECKERT, Vice President
JOHN M. HOY, Vice President and Cashier
CHAS. W. WHITING, Vice President
F. V. GIESSELBRECHT, Assistant Cashier
E. F. FUES, Bookkeeper
CLARA KUNDE, Teller
PEARL McNETT, Teller
DOROTHY FELTMAN, Clerk
EDNA TAPPAN, Clerk

Citation

Woodstock Sentinel, “Woodstock Sentinel 80th Anniversary Edition Newspaper, March 13, 1937, Section 7,” Woodstock Public Library Archives, accessed July 18, 2026, https://woodstockpubliclibraryarchives.omeka.net/items/show/25.

Comments

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page