Chicago Industrial Home for Children ca 1910

Circa 1910 colorized black and white postcard of  the Chicago Industrial Home for Children on Seminary Avenue, Woodstock, Illinois.

Title

Chicago Industrial Home for Children ca 1910

Description

840 N. Seminary Ave

The Woodstock Children's Home was started in Chicago in1886 by the Rev. Thomas Brayton Arnold and his wife Teressa Richardson Arnold . It was incorporated in 1888 as the Chicago Industrial Home for Children.

In 1897, the children's home was relocated to a farm on the north side of town in Woodstock, as a result of a donation by local resident Roxy D. Stevens. The name Chicago Industrial Home remained until sometime between 1946 & 1948 when it became Woodstock Children's Home. It was administered by the Free Methodist Church.

This postcard was taken between 1909 (start of Wm G. Hoffman company) and 1910 (postmark). The card is numbered 709.

In 1912, a large addition was erected. The Children's Home also included a second large home, Harrison House (formerly Grace Hall of Todd School) purchased in 1956. The operation closed in 1975.

This building was demolished in 1983 to make room for Sunset Manor--a.k.a. Woodstock Christian Care/Hearthstone Manor/Hearthstone Communities

Date

1910~

Citation

Wm. G. Hoffman, Chicago, “Chicago Industrial Home for Children ca 1910,” Woodstock Public Library Archives, accessed June 25, 2024, https://woodstockpubliclibraryarchives.omeka.net/items/show/110.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page