Browse Items (29 total)

401 W. Jackson Always Inn postcard.jpg
This postcard, published circa 1910, shows the Cyrus Durfee House, 401 W. Jackson, during the years it was a hotel. Cyrus Durfee built his "mansion" in 1867. The Woodstock Sentinel extolled it as "One of the largest, most convenient, and best…

1922-1923 City Directory_web.pdf
The Woodstock residential and classified directory, 1922-1923, containing the names and addresses of all residents. Also phone number of representative business and professional men [sic] of Woodstock and vicinity.

South and Hayward Sts 740.jpg
This is one of a series of Woodstock postcards that Wm. G. Hoffman of Chicago printed. The earliest is dated 1908 and the latest in this series was 1912. Three large houses are pictured. The one on the left is 414 W. South St. The one in the middle…

401 W. Jackson Always Inn postcard.jpg
This postcard, published circa 1910, shows the Cyrus Durfee House, 401 W. Jackson, during the years it was a hotel. Cyrus Durfee built his "mansion" in 1867. The Woodstock Sentinel extolled it as "One of the largest, most convenient, and best…

445 Fremont St.jpg
The snow in this photo erases some of the clues to the date, but we know who lived in the house in 1914, the earliest City Directory in the library collection. Dexter and Mable Herrington moved there sometime between the 1900 US Census, when they…

417 Woodstock hospital postcard 1914.jpg
In 1914, the newly formed Woodstock Hospital Association took over Dr. Hyde West's private hospital at 417 Clay Street. The hospital remained here only one year, moving to the Judge Theodore Murphy home at 527 W. South Street in 1915.

The American…

woman with dog.jpg
This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library. The photograph was taken at the Abraham (or Abram) Bodine McConnell House at the corner of Jefferson and South Street in Woodstock Illinois. A.B. McConnell was a son of…

dog on horse.jpg
This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library. The photograph was taken at the Abraham (or Abram) Bodine McConnell House at the corner of Jefferson and South Street in Woodstock Illinois. A.B. McConnell was a son of…

Turn of the Century Baby.jpg
The house is believed to be the A.B. McConnell House at the corner of Jefferson and South Street in Woodstock Illinois.

This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library. The photograph was taken at the Abraham (or…

woman with dog.jpg
The house is believed to be the A.B. McConnell House at the corner of Jefferson and South Street in Woodstock Illinois.

This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library. The photograph was taken at the Abraham (or…

toddler.jpg
Unidentified toddler. This house is believed to be the A.B. McConnell House at the corner of Jefferson and South Street in Woodstock Illinois.

This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library. The photograph was…

2510361200_3e803b5b1f_o.jpg
Elijah and Sarah Burbank came to Illinois from New Hampshire via the Ohio River in 1847. They came to McHenry County by ox team from Southern Illinois, the trip taking seven weeks. After trying many things, Elijah learned the trade of stonemason and…

Willow looking east, Greenwod Subdivisione ca 1956.tif
Willow Avenue in Greenwood subdivision is not yet paved. There are curbs and sidewalks, mailboxes and a few small ranch homes.

West Judd St looking west from Throop ca1954.tif
The first two houses on the left side of Judd Street are still standing but the third, the Merwin Funeral Home was demolished and replaced with an office building. Illinois Bell Telephone Co. built the building, then District 200 used it for many…

Street work South St looking west ca 1956.tif
A digger is excavating the tree bank on South St. near the intersection with Throop St. There is a stop sign and a sign directing U. S. Route 14 traffic to turn right.

There is a porch for a house since demolished and cars parked in the…

West from Central School 1900-20.jpg
Bird's Eye View: According to Jim Keefe, this photo was taken from Central School, now City Hall, in 1910. A later copy of this photo was dated 1920.

Jackson St Houses demolished 1969.tif
Three large homes on the south side of Jackson St that were demolished soon after this photo was taken to make room for the First National Bank (225 W Jackson) building and parking lots.

The street sign for the corner of Jackson and Tryon is made…

House corner Calhoun and Nebraska ca 1984.tif
This house at the corner of Calhoun and Nebraska has two addresses--534 S. Nebraska and 535 E. Calhoun. This is the house featured in ID 117 and was the home of Gus Persson, the photographer in many of our collection.

Jim Keefe took this photo in…

Calhoun St looking east from Throop ca 1954.tif
This photo of Calhoun St shows the grass (covered in snow) in front of the Central Jr. High School and the edge of Ray's Radio & TV on the right side. The roof of (Dr.). Klocek's office in 200 Dean Stshows above it. The Throop St. apartments at 201 &…

Brink house 602 North St ca 1986.tif
This home was built by Simon Brink in 1868 and remained in the Brink family until the death of Amy Brink in 2002. It was the first house to receive a plaque and citation in 1975 by the Woodstock Bicentennial Commission.

Aerial photo of Square looking south 1950.jpg
A companion to 'Aerial Photo Looking North From Railroad Tracks 1950' this aerial photo shows the Square from the railroad tracks, southwest on South Street to Woodstock High School, southeast Dean street to about Kimball, northwest to West Judd and…

Aerial photo looking north from railroad tracks 1950.jpg
A companion to 'Aerial Photo of Square Looking South' that shows the Square, this photo has Washington Street on the bottom, the Chicago Northwestern Railroad tracks above that, the Autolite manufacturing plant with the city Power Plant to the left.…

920 N. Seminary old people's rest home.jpg
920 N. Seminary

Was either incorporated into or demolished for Sunset Manor a.k.a. Hearthstone Manor/Carefree Village/Woodstock Christian Care

May 20, 1904 Free Methodist Church formally open "Old Folks Rest Home" on 15 acres, formerly the…

531 Dean Tripp photo.jpg
Dean Street looking South
Horse-drawn sleigh in distance
Melvin G. Tripp Photographer from 1891 to 1937
Photo taken the same time as those of 522 Dean (ID 15)
Near intersection of Tryon

522 Dean Burbank parlor.jpg
Elijah Burbank built 517 Dean St. and 522 Dean Street in 1855. According to his great granddaughters Jennette Burbank and Dorothy Luedtke, this house (522) was occupied by the family and the one across the street (517) was for the farm hands. Elijah…

126 W. South photo medlar.jpg
Built for A. B. McConnell in 1894; plaqued house; southwest corner of South and Jefferson.

The library has glass negatives of the McConnell family photos in File Cabinet 6.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2