Browse Items (277 total)

Mouse, singing 1936.tif
A mouse, caught at the Chicago Industrial Home for Children in Woodstock in 1936, brought fame and a bit of fortune to the city and the Children's Home.

An article in Time magazine, December 28, 1936, tells the best version of the…

Corner of Benton and East Judd ca 1907.tif
The brick buildings on the northeast corner of North Benton and East Judd house several businesses and offices. At the time this photo was taken, the street in front was called Lumber Street.

The building on the right was known as the Dacy Block,…

Emerson Typewriter Co., Persson Babcock print 1910.tif
Gus Persson took this photo of the Emerson Typewriter factory under construction in the winter of 1909-1910.

Emerson Typewriter Co. was founded in Momence, Illinois in 1909 and moved to Woodstock in 1910. City subscribers raised $30,000 to…

man with horse and buggy.jpg
130 Washington Street
This print was made from glass negatives donated to the Woodstock Public Library.

2491219688_4485228b86_o.jpg
The Opera House was finished in 1890 and this is one of the oldest photographs of it. The picture shows the bandstand as it looked before the 1909 structure. The houses and shops on the southwest side of the Square (where Woodstock Square Mall is…

2490406089_e0245a272b_o.jpg
On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I.

This picture shows Benton Street from Van Buren all the way to Church Street.

2490407529_2b99112293_o.jpg
On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I.

2491223396_7d7228e27c_o.jpg
On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I. This photo is of the State Bank of Woodstock and to the left, the Odd Fellows Hall (Benton…

2509381944_91f0930471_o.jpg
This photo was taken in the 1920’s, showing the building where Prudential Realty and Town Square Inn are located. Compare it with the photo of the same building in 1883 (Kendall Block and Austin’s Grocery Store). The building has been doubled in size…

2490408209_bac9c88238_o.jpg
On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I.

Hoy’s Pharmacy was in business for many years, succeeded by Pfeiffer’s, Gibson’s and…

2490402021_4ee79b7a60_o.jpg
This picture was taken sometime between 1887, when the Sheriff’s House was built, and 1912, when brick pavers were laid on the streets surrounding the Square. There are no electric wires visible, so it is probably taken before the power plant was…

2509381944_91f0930471_o.jpg
In this picture, cars have almost replaced horses and there is enough traffic to make Main Street a one-way street. The building on the left is Dushnack’s Restaurant. On the right is one of the last wooden buildings on the square. It burned in…

3008626619_7b265249d2_o.jpg
In 1903, the Borden's Condensed Milk company sent a delegation which included representatives of the Chicago and North Western railway to search for a suitable site to build a factory in Woodstock. After consulting with prominent citizens, Mayor E.…

2508551623_8af377e7fc_o.jpg
This photo gives a good view of a large portion of Main Street’s east side to the edge of the Square. Note that the far building two stories. Also, this is a good view of the Waverly House (with balconies).

14496414732_329e30c400_o.jpg
This building served as the home and classroom for Todd School’s Music Director Carl Hendrickson and his wife Helen ‘Nenette’. This building is one of the few Todd School buildings still standing, it is situated on Seminary Avenue, just past the…

5888026122_8f16808281_o.jpg
The Todd School for Boys (1848–1954) was an independent school located in Woodstock, Illinois founded by Reverend Richard Kimball Todd, a Presbyterian pastor. Under the guidance of Headmaster Noble Hill in the 1920s and Hill’s son Roger in the 1930s,…

5039448458_de9b9d32e2_o.jpg
The Todd School for Boys (1848–1954) was an independent school located in Woodstock, Illinois founded by Reverend Richard Kimball Todd, a Presbyterian pastor. Under the guidance of Headmaster Noble Hill in the 1920s and Hill’s son Roger in the 1930s,…

5039448466_1c2364aa5b_o.jpg
The Todd School curriculum included horseback riding. The stable in the background was built by Todd students in 1930, under the direction of instructor A.E. Johnson. Coach Roskie is the fourth person from the left in this photograph. A Todd…

3175882036_e6c908886f_o.jpg
The Todd School Gymnasium building was built in 1894 and originally was used as a barn. Once renovated, the gymnasium included a 70-foot basketball court, bowling alley, gymnastics equipment and balcony seating. In addition to the indoor…

Todd Record 10-11-1937 gym photos (2).jpg
The Todd School Gymnasium building was built in 1894 and originally was used as a barn. Once renovated, the gymnasium included a 70-foot basketball court, bowling alley, gymnastics equipment and balcony seating. In addition to the indoor…

Graduation in front of Grace Hall.jpg
Graduation ceremonies in front of Todd School's Grace Hall.

Grace Hall
Built in 1920-1921, the brick building provided accommodations for twenty-four students and six faculty members. It also housed the school's sound studio, laboratory, and…

Boys running on snowy campus ca 1925.jpg
1925 photograph of Todd School students running in the snow just outside of Rogers Hall.

The Todd School for Boys (1848–1954) was an independent school located in Woodstock, Illinois founded by Reverend Richard Kimball Todd, a Presbyterian pastor.…

Todd School Bus in front of Rogers Hall.jpg
Affectionately known as “Big Bertha,” the Todd School sleeper buses provided a complete traveling home/school, were used to take students to educational sites throughout North America and to transport students to the Todd winter home in Florida. The…

Students & Noble HIll in front of Grace hall.jpg
Students and Headmaster Noble Hill in front of Todd School's Grace Hall.

The Todd School for Boys (1848–1954) was an independent school located in Woodstock, Illinois founded by Reverend Richard Kimball Todd, a Presbyterian pastor. Under the…

Clover Hall.jpg
One of the original Todd School buildings, Clover Hall was built in the 1860s. Clover Hall was named after Martha Clover, first wife of the Todd School founder, Richard Kimball Todd. Originally, the building was used for the school's administrative…

Gymnasium.jpg
The Todd School Gymnasium building was built in 1894 and originally was used as a barn. Once renovated, the gymnasium included a 70-foot basketball court, bowling alley, gymnastics equipment and balcony seating. In addition to the indoor…

Wallingford Hall At Todd School for Boys.jpg
The oldest building on the Todd campus, built in the early 1860s. It was located at the corner of Route 147 (Seminary Ave.) and Route 120 (McHenry Ave.). Wallingford Hall was expanded twice in its hundred years, in the 1890s and again in 1912. The…

Clover Hall Tripp Photo.jpg
One of the original Todd School buildings, Clover Hall was built in the 1860s. Clover Hall was named after Martha Clover, first wife of the Todd School founder, Richard Kimball Todd. Originally, the building was used for the school's administrative…

Grace Hall.jpg
Built in 1920-1921, the brick building provided accommodations for twenty-four students and six faculty members. It also housed the school's sound studio, laboratory, and photography dark room. Grace Hall was named in memory of Noble Hill's first…

Rogers hall.jpg
Built in 1910 and named in honor of Noble Hill's wife's family name, Rogers. The facility included wood, print, and machine shops, classrooms, a library, science laboratories and a 180 seat theater.

Rogers Hall is one of the few remaining…

1872 Illustration of the Todd Campus.tif
The Todd School for Boys (1848–1954) was an independent school located in Woodstock, Illinois founded by Reverend Richard Kimball Todd, a Presbyterian pastor. Under the guidance of Headmaster Noble Hill in the 1920s and Hill’s son Roger in the 1930s,…

1930 school photo.jpg
1930 Todd School class photo with Grace Hall in the background. A young Orson Welles (age 14 or 15) is in the middle of the back row (standing in front of the tree). Roger "Skipper" Hill, headmaster, is fifth from the right in the back row.

The…

Cass St and Benton St stores ca 1916.jpg
This photo of the northeast corner of the Square was taken after 1910, when the McHenry County Bank moved out of the west portion of the building so that Stone & Sons shoes occupied the entire space. The globe type electric lamps were installed in…

Square, west side ca 1858.jpg
Oldest known photo of the Courthouse [101 N. Johnson] and newly landscaped (1858-9) Square Park. The Courthouse was built in 1857. There is a description of the courthouse in the February 3, 1858 Woodstock Sentinel.
Neill Donnelly's Cheap Cash Store…

Woodstock Typewriter Factory.jpg
300 N. Seminary
Emerson Typewriter Co. was founded in Momence, Illinois in 1909 and moved to Woodstock in 1910. City subscribers raised $30,000 to purchase the land and build this 25,000 square foot building. Alvah Roebuck (of Sears and Roebuck…

Woodstock Hospital 1937.jpg
527 W. South Street

Woodstock Hospital was moved from Clay Street to the Judge Theodore Murphy home at 527 W. South Street in 1915. This photo shows the Bentley Wing that was built in 1937 in front of the original building.

The name of the…

Woodstock Dry Goods 1939 Benton St.tif
113 S. Benton: Woodstock Dry Goods Company in the Church Block, built by Malachi Church after his livery stable burned in the 1893 fire that destroyed all the buildings on South Benton to East Jackson. Church did not live to occupy the building, but…

Brewery on Washington St. fire 1902.tif
Washington Street

Woodstock Brewery & Bottling Works was founded about 1858 to bottle beer. A photo of the building is on page 15 of Headlight Sights & Scenes (ca. 1898) along with a history.

May 8 "Fire Wipes Out Main Building of Woodstock…

Square Cass and Donelly building in snow 1864-77.jpg
Out of focus photo of the north and west sides of the Square after a snowstorm. It was taken looking west from Medlar's studio on Cass Street.
Neill Donnelly's store was demolished in 1887 to make room for the Sheriff's House.
Neill Donnelly…

Welcome Home Company G 1898.jpg
"When the electric sign up on the Murphy block, which read 'Welcome Home' when Company G returned from the Spanish American war. That sign caused almost as much excitement as the actual return of the soldier boys themselves, and how proud everyone…

Welcome Home 1919 State Bank and Oddfellows.jpg
Shows the corner of Cass and E. Jackson streets decorated for the Welcome Home celebration June 10, 1919. See Item #465: "Welcome Home 1919 train depot" for more information

101 S. Benton: State Bank of Woodstock with original crenelated tower of…

Welcome Home 1919 Square crowd panorama left.jpg
LEFT IMAGE - The intersection of Cass and North Benton streets is lined with the crowd that is waiting for the parade to begin. The edge of the reviewing stand is visible along with the back of those sitting on the stand. The rest of the spectators…

Welcome Home 1919 Opera House.jpg
The Opera House is decorated for the June 10, 1919 celebration.

The Woodstock Sentinel June 12, 1919 p6:
Pavement Dancing
Between the hours of 3 and 5 in the afternoon and 10 and 12 in the evening, dancing was enjoyed on the pavement between…

Welcome Home 1919 Benton Street Murphy block.jpg
Continuing the tour of the decorations around the Square, this shows Murphy Block and 110 N. Benton.

100 N. Benton: American National Bank
102 N. Benton: Murphy & Doering General Merchandise
106 N. Benton: Lencioni & Bertolozzi Ice Cream and…

Main Street Bunting Welcome Home 1919.TIF
Part of the series of the June 10, 1919 Welcome Home photos. See ID 100 for full Sentinel article.
Main Street is decked out for the celebration with a series of bunting and flags over the street, on the light poles and on the buildings. The Welcome…

Welcome Home 1919 Court House with tent.jpg
This photo of the Courthouse and Sheriff's House decorated for the Welcome Home celebration also shows a vendor's tent in the northwest corner of the Square park.

Welcome Home 1919 Court House.jpg
The Courthouse and Sheriff's House are decorated with bunting and flags for the Welcome Home celebration. Cass and Johnson streets are festooned with flags and banners as well. Three men stand on the Courthouse steps which seem lower than today.

Welcome Home 1919 Cass Street.jpg
Hoy Block decorated for the June 10, 1919 celebration. Banners decorate Cass Street (wire stretches from Benton Street to the Square Park) and all three levels of the building. Two men stand on the sidewalk on North Benton and a part of the Sentinel…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2