Browse Items (479 total)

Sanborn maps from 1885 to 1912 show two businesses in the building at 110 N. Benton, a barber shop and a harness shop. There was also a third business in the basement. Sometime between 1900 and 1902, Bernie Sherman moved his "Sherman's Sporting…

Built for A. B. McConnell in 1894; plaqued house; southwest corner of South and Jefferson.

The library has glass negatives of the McConnell family photos in File Cabinet 6.

This postcard, published circa 1910, shows the Cyrus Durfee House, 401 W. Jackson, during the years it was a hotel. Cyrus Durfee built his "mansion" in 1867. The Woodstock Sentinel extolled it as "One of the largest, most convenient, and best…

This postcard, published circa 1910, shows the Cyrus Durfee House, 401 W. Jackson, during the years it was a hotel. Cyrus Durfee built his "mansion" in 1867. The Woodstock Sentinel extolled it as "One of the largest, most convenient, and best…

The snow in this photo erases some of the clues to the date, but we know who lived in the house in 1914, the earliest City Directory in the library collection. Dexter and Mable Herrington moved there sometime between the 1900 US Census, when they…

Elijah Burbank built 517 Dean St. and 522 Dean Street in 1855. According to his great granddaughters Jennette Burbank and Dorothy Luedtke, this house (522) was occupied by the family and the one across the street (517) was for the farm hands. Elijah…

Dean Street looking South
Horse-drawn sleigh in distance
Melvin G. Tripp Photographer from 1891 to 1937
Photo taken the same time as those of 522 Dean (ID 15)
Near intersection of Tryon

920 N. Seminary

Was either incorporated into or demolished for Sunset Manor a.k.a. Hearthstone Manor/Carefree Village/Woodstock Christian Care

May 20, 1904 Free Methodist Church formally open "Old Folks Rest Home" on 15 acres, formerly the…

This postcard is a photo montage of eight W. G. Hoffman postcards: "Benton St. From Van Buren #730"
"C. & N. W. Depot #705"
"Main Street #734"
"Oliver Typewriter Factory"
"Woodstock Typewriter Co."
"Benton Street #729"
"Congress Dairy…

The A&P Supermarket on Van Buren can be seen from an angle. The old blacksmith shop has a black glass façade but no sign identifying the occupants. An edge of the Post Office is visible as well as a low, long building on Throop St. that is difficult…

A companion to 'Aerial Photo of Square Looking South' that shows the Square, this photo has Washington Street on the bottom, the Chicago Northwestern Railroad tracks above that, the Autolite manufacturing plant with the city Power Plant to the left.…

A companion to 'Aerial Photo Looking North From Railroad Tracks 1950' this aerial photo shows the Square from the railroad tracks, southwest on South Street to Woodstock High School, southeast Dean street to about Kimball, northwest to West Judd and…

This aerial photo is taken from the east and shows the Auto Lite factory in 1962, shortley before a major expansion. Clay Street runs along the side of the factory with the American Legion building at the left. The water tower has Eltra painted on it…

This aerial photo shows the Electric Autolite factory taken from the south in 1960. It is titled the Die Cast site since that is what it has been called since 1997 when it was demolished.

The original Tappan Steam Pump then Oliver Typewriter…

Gus Persson often identified the photos by writing on the negative. This is lebeled Algonquin, Hill, Climb Aug. 5-09. At that time Gus worked at Oliver Typewriter and chronicled the activities sponsored by the company.

The photo is taken from a…

The companion photo to ID443, the hill climb is over and spectators are walking downhill to Algonquin. Three men are perched in a large tree across the road. You can feel the heat--one woman has her umbrella open, another is shielding her face with …

5 photos in this file

The article in the incorrectly dated November 7, 1918 Woodstock Sentinel tells the story of the spontaneous celebration when the news of the Armistice in Europe was announced on November 11, 1918. These 5 photos, taken from…

400 N. Madison at the intersection with Hutchins.

This building was built in 1912 after a previous armory on Calhoun between Dean & Jefferson was destroyed by fire in 1910. Used by Woodstock Company G, of the 3rd Illinois Regiment during World…

B. S. Austin began his grocery in 1881 then moved into this new Kendall Block in 1883. He remained in the grocery business here until his death in 1916 when his son took over the business.
He stands to the left of his door while his son Garry…

Six identical white Buick Model 10 Runabouts (1908-1910) and one dark Buick Model C (from 1905) are lined up in front of 217 Main Street. Names listed on the back of the photo include: Frank Wattles, Charles Thorne, Ray Beardsley, Bob Sharp, Fred and…

Taken the same day as Automobile Club on Main Street 1910 (Item #59: "Automobile Club on Main Street 1910") this photo shows different buildings on the west side of Main Street. All are wood frame buildings and have been demolished and now house the…

Four men ride in an automobile at the corner of Calhoun and Nebraska streets in 1909 while men lay gas pipes near the curb. The house belonged to Gus Persson--his daughter Mildren Luallen pointed out that you can see her brother's diapers drying on…

A boy is seated in a 1902 Baker Electric Automobile on the east side of the railroad tunnel on South St. and Lake St. It must be 1902 or later since the special December 12, 1901 edition of the Woodstock Sentinel notes that Dr. Windmueller has the…

Automobiles are lined upon the Square side of Johnson Street with the Opera House and two buildings on Van Buren street in the background. The donor of the photo dated it as 1917. The street is brick (1912) and the light fixtures are from the same…

Three Buick Model C autos (1905) are lined up in front of Schuett and Schaaf Buick dealer. Posters on the front of the building say "Gollimar Bros. Shows Monday May 20."
May 20 was on Monday in 1901 (too early for the cars), 1907, 1912, and 1918.…

The purpose of the automobile lineup on Johnson Street on the Woodstock Square is unknown (possibly an auto club). The photo was taken after 1912 when the pillars with globe lights were installed in the park and the street was paved with bricks.

The intersection of E. Jackson and Jefferson streets, E.L. Bakkom's Hardware was located at 101-109 S. Jefferson.
An International Harvestor sign hangs on the corner of the building.Bakkom's Hardware building is the southernmost commercial building…

This photo was taken from the W. Jackson St. entrance to the Square and shows the bandstand without any roof. The stone pillars are topped by lights with round globes. Several small trees have been planted after the wind storm of 1967 toppled all the…

This bandstand, built in 1909, replaced the earlier wood frame platform that had been built in 1885/86 at the time the Spring City Band formed. It is built on a raised concrete platform with field rock foundation and pillars. This is not the current…

Roofless bandstand showing Cass St and part of Main St in the background. Visible signs include Wien's Women's Wear, Ben Franklin dime store, Woodstock True Value [Laing's] Gibson's Rexall drug store, and Dacy Electric.

Bunting decorates the bandstand probably for Memorial Day. The flag is at half-staff. The bandstand was renovated in 1976 to this design in order to improve acoustics.
The bench style show that it was before the new benches provided by Columbia…

200 W. Jackson
Corner of Jackson & Throop
Listed as First Baptist Church in the 1914 City Directory

101 N. Throop now is on this location

"The present Baptist church was erected in 1866, being located at the corner of Jackson and Throop…

A baseball team poses in front of Thos. Whitson & Sons store on North Benton. A typewritten tag on the photo says "Baseball Team - 1884- East side of Square
114 N. Benton Thomas Whitson & Sons dealers in Stoves, Hardware, Tools &c.Thomas Whitson…

This photo shows the north end of Benton at the railroad tracks and the sidewalk in front of three buildings that face the tracks. Church street crosses the tracks in the center of the photo. The train depot and a small building with a cover over the…

The train warning signal sits in the center of N. Benton street with a One Way Do Not Enter sign. The tracks are on the bottom of the photo. The left side of the street shows
228 N. Benton Perkins Barber Shop
224 N. Benton Walsh's Grocery &…

North Benton street store buildings in two photos--the second one is a close up one is a close-up.

100-108 N. Benton Murphy Building
110 N. Benton Studio 2015
112 N. Benton Stone's
114 N. Benton Lloyd's Paint N Paper
116 N. Benton Uptown…

See photo Item #79: "Benton St North west side ca 1954" for details. This blurred photo was scanned only for the closer details on the buildings near Cass St.
207 N. Benton
209 N. Benton Woodstock Daily Sentinel (no sign)
215 N. Benton
217 N.…

Taken from the middle of North Benton, the sides of the buildings are most prominent plus the signs on them.
Walsh's Grocery and Market faces Judd St (101 E. Judd) but their Walsh Liquor Store entrance was 224 N. Benton. A Blatz Beer sign is on the…

Photo taken in the middle of the street almost at the intersection of Benton & Cass.

The brick side of a building on the left is the east side of 100 Cass

The next building houses
207 N. Benton
209 N. Benton Woodstock Daily Sentinel (the…

Taken from the same spot as Item #77: "Benton St North ca 1954" (straight down the middle of Benton St) this shows additional neon signs.
The businesses include:
(Dr.). Robert N. Maylott, optometrist 231 N. Benton
? Lounge with Pabst Blue Ribbon…

On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I.

On June 10, 1919 the city of Woodstock Illinois hosted a Homecoming Celebration for McHenry County's returning soldiers, sailors and marines from World War I.

This picture shows Benton Street from Van Buren all the way to Church Street.

Birds Eye View Woodstock, ILL.

Taken from the Public School on South Street that burned in 1921.
Upper left: Courthouse with smokestack behind it, probably Moncur's greenhouse but possibly Woodstock Brewery. To the right in the background Oliver…

This postcard has been colorized by Copy Express, an enhancement that emphasizes the details. The original photo was taken about 1912, when the lights around the Square were installed with several glass globes on the single light pole. In this photo,…

View of Blossom's Jewelry Store

E. W. Blossom's Jewelry and Watches was opened in 1868 at 117 E. Van Buren. From 1872 to 1885 the store was located at 107 E. Van Buren. After 1885 the store moved to 104 N. Benton (east side of Square).

The…

This photo is a closer view than photo Item #446: "Waiting for the Train Oliver Typwriter Picnic" and still from a high vantage point. The train has pulled into the station and Oliver Typewriter employees are gathered to enter. Near the front, some…

After Bohn's Ace Hardware moved to Route 47 and into the old A&P grocery store, this building remained vacant. It was used in 1992 by Columbia Pictures to house movie extras. Jim took this photo when only the B remained. The windows have already been…

This closeup of the architect's drawing of what the finished façade will look like is framed by scaffolding.

113 Van Buren

In 1903, the Borden's Condensed Milk company sent a delegation which included representatives of the Chicago and North Western railway to search for a suitable site to build a factory in Woodstock. After consulting with prominent citizens, Mayor E.…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2