Browse Items (479 total)

A mouse, caught at the Chicago Industrial Home for Children in Woodstock in 1936, brought fame and a bit of fortune to the city and the Children's Home.

An article in Time magazine, December 28, 1936, tells the best version of the…

Woodstock Community High School was built in 1922 at 501 W. South St.

Looking at the landscaping, this photo was taken soon after.

A. S. Wright Druggist is printed on the front. He was in business from 1880-1840.

Auburn Post Card Mfg. Co.…

First Methodist Episcopal Church has been located at 201 W. South Street since 1871. The original frame building burned in 1923 and was replaced by this brick structure in 1924. A new church building had already been in the planning stages.

Beatrice Pond took this photo for her art photography class, donating it to the library after an exhibit.
The dome is obscured by smoke from one of the chimneys. A television antenna and two small enclosures show the working side of the building.…

The Odd Fellows Temple was built in 1906 at the corner of E. Jackson and Jefferson Streets. Other social organizations shared the building as did the post office (see ID 161). It was demolished 1983 to make room for the expansion of the State Bank of…

The residence of Leander J. Young was one of the houses featured in the Woodstock Sentinel's Special Edition December 19, 1901. The entire newspaper was devoted to promoting the idea that Woodstock was a special, and successful, place to live and do…

The exterior of the Post Office seems to be complete when compared with later photos.

There is also a rare view of the Montgomery Ward department store before the addition that doubled its original size.

At the rear a team of horses are…

Rear of the Post Office from Throop Street as it nears completion.

Good view of the building that used to be at 131 W. Van Buren. In the 1935 City Directory, the listing was for the Double Dipper--ice cream with your hamburger.

Rear view of the completed post office showing the loading dock and west and south walls. 124 S. Johnson

Also shows a clear view of the rear of Chauncy Hill's Blacksmith Shop 110 W. Calhoun (as well as 125 Van Buren)

Postcard title: City Hall, Woodstock, Ill. #6203
The postcard is post marked March 24, 1914
Taken from the street near Benton, it shows the Opera House without a fire escape. The dirt streets and the rope on post railing on the square indicate…

Woodstock Square park with the Spring House as the focal point. The sign "The Macks Tonight" dates the photo:

Keep your eye on THE FRONT WINDOW
Don’t fail to be at J. J. Stafford’s afore at 7:30 o’clock sharp Wednesday night and witness the…

This postcard, published circa 1910, shows the Cyrus Durfee House, 401 W. Jackson, during the years it was a hotel. Cyrus Durfee built his "mansion" in 1867. The Woodstock Sentinel extolled it as "One of the largest, most convenient, and best…

Curt Teich was one of the most prolific and popular postcard creators. He was prominent in the "Linen Period" in production style from 1930 to 1945. The post card has a textured look and is framed in white to reduce the amount of ink necessary to…

This postcard of the McHenry County Courthouse was taken by Curt Teich in 1927, according to the number 117100. It was taken about the same time as The Woodstock Typewriter Factory and Dean Street School postcards.

Teich used a four-color…

This is a photo of St. Mary Catholic Church on Lincoln Avenue with the parish house (rectory) on the right. This brick church was built in 1856 for $4,000. It was remodeled and improved in 1881, when the seating was increased from 200 to 400. It was…

This aerial photo shows the Electric Autolite factory taken from the south in 1960. It is titled the Die Cast site since that is what it has been called since 1997 when it was demolished.

The original Tappan Steam Pump then Oliver Typewriter…

This aerial photo is taken from the east and shows the Auto Lite factory in 1962, shortley before a major expansion. Clay Street runs along the side of the factory with the American Legion building at the left. The water tower has Eltra painted on it…

The old Oliver Typewriter Company office "bungalow" sits alongside the Chicago and North Western railway tracks in front of a new façade of the Woodstock Die Casting factory. The photo was taken shortly before the bungalow was razed as part of a…

Woodstock Manufacturing Corporation of Michigan bought Woodstock Die Casting from Allied Signal Corporation in 1985. After several years of decline, the factory closed on June 29, 1990, resulting in the loss of 757 jobs. The City of Woodstock was…

Long a landmark in Woodstock, the name Eltra was painted on the water tower of the Woodstock Die Casting factory. Eltra Corporation owned Woodstock Die Casting from 1963 until Eltra was acquired by Allied Chemical Corporation in 1979.

Woodstock…

This panorama postcard is slightly larger than two standard postcards and designed to be folded in half and mailed. The photo was taken from Johnson Street and shows the sweep of the park from Cass Street to Van Buren. The buildings include 100 Cass,…

200 W. Jackson
Corner of Jackson & Throop
Listed as First Baptist Church in the 1914 City Directory

101 N. Throop now is on this location

"The present Baptist church was erected in 1866, being located at the corner of Jackson and Throop…

Taken from the train platform, the photo shows a nearly empty platform and depot. A neon sign shows the Northwestern logo and Woodstock on the depot roof. Western Union has an office inside the station. The billboards to the left advertise Ford and…

Sheriff's House (1887) and Courthouse in winter before the addition on the north end (1903) and south end (1904) were built. In 1898 the building trim was repainted according to Nancy Baker.

Buildings on Throop Street behind the Sheriff's House…

Taken between 1907 (start of E. C. Kropp Co.) and 1912 (brick streets). Postcard #394

100 N. Benton
102 N. Benton
104 N. Benton
106 N. Benton
108 N. Benton
110 N. Benton
112 N. Benton
114 N. Benton Whitson's Hardware
116 N. Benton
118 N.…

201 W. South

Although Paul R. Vogel Co. (1911-1940s) is printed on the back, the postage stamp area shows the EKC monogram of E. C. Kropp company (1907-1956.)

The lettering on the face of the postcard is very similar to the printing on the C…

Colorized postcard of the High School on Calhoun St. (now City Hall). It is more recent than the United Art postcard since there is a sidewalk and an informal fence.
The old school on South Street is more visible.


120 W. Calhoun

E. C.…

This postcard shows the Square park trees in full leaf before the renovations in 1912. The Spring House is the only visible landmark.The railings on the edge are wood posts with rope or chain in between them.

E. C. Kropp company of Milwaukee was…

St Mary's Catholic Church taken soon after the church was completed in 1910. The parsonage is only partially visible on the left. It was built between 1905-1908.
A house is visible on the right of the church where the St. Mary junior high building…

527 W. South Street

Woodstock Hospital was moved from Clay Street to the Judge Theodore Murphy home at 527 W. South Street in 1915. This photo shows the Bentley Wing that was built in 1937 in front of the original building.

The name of the…

View of Blossom's Jewelry Store

E. W. Blossom's Jewelry and Watches was opened in 1868 at 117 E. Van Buren. From 1872 to 1885 the store was located at 107 E. Van Buren. After 1885 the store moved to 104 N. Benton (east side of Square).

The…

Four workmen stand next to the newly completed Soldier's Monument. One of the men is Antonio Zoia who erected the statue that had been carved of Barre and dark Quincy marble in Vermont. The statue was dedicated November 9, 1909. Zoia Monument Company…

Gus Persson took this photo of the Emerson Typewriter factory under construction in the winter of 1909-1910.

Emerson Typewriter Co. was founded in Momence, Illinois in 1909 and moved to Woodstock in 1910. City subscribers raised $30,000 to…

The brick buildings on the northeast corner of North Benton and East Judd house several businesses and offices. At the time this photo was taken, the street in front was called Lumber Street.

The building on the right was known as the Dacy Block,…

In January 1977, the Woodstock Opera House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior. One of the driving forces behind the designation was Marge Sharpe, Woodstock. Shown here from left: Vette Kelle, attorney…

This photo was taken from the W. Jackson St. entrance to the Square and shows the bandstand without any roof. The stone pillars are topped by lights with round globes. Several small trees have been planted after the wind storm of 1967 toppled all the…

Roofless bandstand showing Cass St and part of Main St in the background. Visible signs include Wien's Women's Wear, Ben Franklin dime store, Woodstock True Value [Laing's] Gibson's Rexall drug store, and Dacy Electric.

Bunting decorates the bandstand probably for Memorial Day. The flag is at half-staff. The bandstand was renovated in 1976 to this design in order to improve acoustics.
The bench style show that it was before the new benches provided by Columbia…

North Benton street store buildings in two photos--the second one is a close up one is a close-up.

100-108 N. Benton Murphy Building
110 N. Benton Studio 2015
112 N. Benton Stone's
114 N. Benton Lloyd's Paint N Paper
116 N. Benton Uptown…

After Bohn's Ace Hardware moved to Route 47 and into the old A&P grocery store, this building remained vacant. It was used in 1992 by Columbia Pictures to house movie extras. Jim took this photo when only the B remained. The windows have already been…

This closeup of the architect's drawing of what the finished façade will look like is framed by scaffolding.

113 Van Buren

This home was built by Simon Brink in 1868 and remained in the Brink family until the death of Amy Brink in 2002. It was the first house to receive a plaque and citation in 1975 by the Woodstock Bicentennial Commission.

The Caldwell, Berner & Caldwell building on Cass St is having paint removed and awnings replaced before Accent Video moves in. Signs visible include Wiens at 108 Cass and Memorial Hospital Gift & Thrift store at 207 N. Benton. Mary Ellen Keefe acted…

Easy Travel and Town Square Realty shared this building between 1987 and 1991--the only clues to the date of the photo. The cars are of the same vintage. The vertical sign for the Hotel and the second floor is between the two businesses.

112 Cass…

Another in the series of photos Jim Keefe took on Memorial Day 1993 (see ID 391) Cass St. businesses include the Galleria, Northern Federal Savings Bank, Concorde Inn and Town Square Realty.

Cass Street from the corner of Main to Benton taken the morning of Memorial Day 1993. The Tip Top Café, named after the same location in the movie Groundhog Day, has red-striped awnings. The restaurant lasted only a short time--none of the subsequent…

First in a series covering the demolition of the first church built in Woodstock that was being used for storage by Dacy Lumber company. A National Tea Company grocery store was built on the site with 220 N. Jefferson as the address.

The church…

Second in the series documenting the demolition of the first church in Woodstock on Church & Jefferson Streets. This shows the church front and south façade. A large covered shed used by Dacy Lumber Company for storing lumber is the first building to…

Third in the series of the demoltion of the first church and Dacy Lumber Company buildings to make room for the National Tea grocery store on the corner of Church & Jefferson.

The large shed and the old house are gone revealing a small shed with…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2